Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Is it too late for weed control??

Old 06-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it too late for weed control??

My plot has came up from being planted last year but i never did anything to control the weeds this year. I have 3 different brands side by side which are Imperial, Biologic, and some small name brand. The total plot is about 40 yards by 25 yards. I went back there the first time in about a month or two and noticed that theres weed grown with it and the tips of the clover have a redness on part of it. Is this normal? Will mowing the plot help? If i do mow it the only thing i have is a lawn tractor, will that cut the plot too low even with the mowing deck raised to the top?? Sorry for all the questions, but im a little worried deer wont come to it and want to do all i can to get it ready for deer season. Thanks for any help regarding any aspect of this.

P.S. We havent had much rain in a while, so i dont know if that has anything to do with it.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it too late for weed control??

If the clover is established, the weeds won't hurt it. Even in ag fields, you'll get other vegetation coming up between the clover. The brown or red tips to the clover is probably due to drought. Mowing probably wouldn't hurt it, but I would'nt do it until you've got some moisture.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Will any of that affect the taste of the clover? I've read that weeds affect palatablilty but didnt know if that was true or not. Will the deer still eat it even if it has that redness to it?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

its never to late for weed control

mowing and lime are probably your best bet - but as was said - wait till after a couple decent rains.

FH

Old 06-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Mowing will help with weed control but I suggest using one of the selectivegrass killers like Poast or Arrest. You only have about 1/4 acre and Poastis only offered in large quantities. I would Google Arrest herbicide and buy the pint. It will treat the area at least once maybe twice. I think it will cost about $20.

NOTE: If you grass is mature add in 2 oz of a seed oil to make it more effective on the bigger grasses. It will make a defference.

Like I mentioned, mowing is fine but with the price of gas a one time herbicide application is more effective and probably less expensive.

Wait until you get some rain. The plants need to be actively growing for any herbicide to work properly.

Good Luck

POP
Old 06-30-2007, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt weeds would affect palatiblity much. Maybe if cut for hay for livestock but not deer. They'll pick out what they like. If the deer are eating it now, they'll continue to do so. There might even some weeds they like in the mix.Thedie-back on the edges of the leaves shouldn't affect the rest of the plant.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the weeds are very tall there isn't much you can do to kill them besides mowing, but if there hasn't been much rain you shouldn't mow. The clover is under enough stress due to the drought. Wait for some moisture, then mow. That will knock back the weeds and the clover will have the moisture it needs to come back. Until then, I wouldn't worry too much. Like others have said, if the clover is established the weeds won't hurt. Some weeds are eaten by deer anyways.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

it kinda looks like the deer have been bedding down in the clover field, but how do you tell if theyre eating it? I put my camera up tonight facing the field, hopefully that will tell me.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:50 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

how do you tell if theyre eating it?
Kdsberman
Putting an exclusion cage in your field is a good way to monitor the level of browsing. Just stake a 4' tall wirecage, 2 to 3' in dia in your field to keep the deer out.

-fsh
Old 07-02-2007, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'd have to look at the clover itself to see if the tops are clipped. Look especially where the trails enter the field. The clover should be noticably shorter. The fact that you've got deer beds is a good indication that they're probably feeding. They'll feed a while and lay down, then get up again and feed some more then lay down again.

Quick Reply: Is it too late for weed control??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.