Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

WEED CONTROL

Old 08-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default WEED CONTROL

What can I use on my Imperial Whitetail Extreme food plot to control weeds? Should it be mowed or cut first?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Spike

Default RE: WEED CONTROL

Konk, you can use selective herbicides on Extreme but it's late in the year to expect much result. The weeds are too mature.My suggestion based on your location (WI) would be to mow and let the frost kill the grass or weeds. When the spring green-up comes around spray either Arrest to kill the grass or Slay to kill the broadleaf weeds. The key is early application. From what I've read they aremost effective iftreated from 4-6" tall in the spring.

Good Luck.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:12 AM

I was told that you can use Arrest for grasson Extreme but not Slay. I have some weeds in my Extreme and Whitetail Institute told me to mow only for weeds because Slay will kill the chicory. The Extreme did great last fall for attracting deer and it looks real good now. We have had alot of rain and I have mowed 3 times this year.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks otis and hogboss, I will mow this weekend and wait until spring the spray w/ arrest.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Spike

H-boss, thanks for the clairification. So Idon't want to use Slay on chicory........... but chicory only persists for a couple of years normally. When the chicory is goneisthe Slay is safe for the Extreme?

I'm in my second year with Extreme and it looks great and the deer have been killing it all summerbut I'm starting to notice a few broadleaf weeds. I know there will be more next spring. Being able to useSlay for the weeds would be nice. LET ME KNOW.

I hope I can,Slay killed all my weeds in my clover field. It's the best looking field I've planted in 13 years. My partner and Iwere there last weekend and looked for a weed and couldn't find one. This year in early spring, the fieldwas infested with weedsand we sprayed it at about 3" tall and the clover took off andwithin 4 weeks every weed in the field was dead. It's almost a foot tall now anda deer magnet.

Thanks for the advice in advance,

Old 08-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats one of the problems with mixes - one solution cannot solve all the problems- but on the other hand - if one seed fails - there's another to fill in.

Maybe a spray could work - but extreme is almost like a weed seeding anyhow (just a nutritious one) - I don't think it was ever really put together to spray.

FH