Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Weed control?

Old 04-14-2003, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Weed control?

Here' s my deal. Summer of 2001 I plowed up, and dragged out my heavy sodded area for a plot. I had suggested lime spread this past late summer. I' m discing it up again here soon, or at least planning on it. My question is should I disc it, wait for spring growth to start, spray roundup, then plant my seed after? Or is there a weed killer I can disc in thats recommended before planting? I don' t want to go through all this, and it gets over run with weeds.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:35 AM

Default RE: Weed control?

In the past we have plowed the ground, disc it to a nice seed bed, spread our lime then disc the lime in and then seed. This has worked well for us without using anything to kill current weeds and grasses.

However, our approach going forward is 1) wait for weeds and grasses to green-up then spray round-up to kill everything. Wait 2-3 weeks and then disc for planting. I am not aware of anything that you can disc in to help with weed control although it could be out there. Keep in mind that I think that any time you disc whether you have sprayed or not you are moving weed and grass seeds around and to the top of the soil that may eventually grow. Hope things go well for you. I am in WV and we are just getting ready to begin our process this weekend. We never plant until the second week of May because of frost. I would suspect in NY you are behind us a some as far as green-up but my place is located in the highest mtns. in our state. Good Luck
Old 04-16-2003, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wig, thats what I' ve always been told after you plow or disc you turn up new weed seed to grow. I was originally thinking of roundup spraying after green up, then disc, but thought it would defeat the purpose that way. I figured the snow would help settle in the lime good, but wanted to get it worked in more now. Would it hurt to disc now, then roundup after greenup. Wait couple wks, and fertilize, and seed it? That way I should get it all pretty good.
Being in NY were well behind WV. In fact this spring is way behind. I still got snowbanks yet, and had 6" snow last wk! So I got time to play before seeding. I probably won' t be able to do any of that until late May, early June.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:29 AM

In the past we have always disced our lime in after application. We think it helps it react quicker especially if gets some moisture to go along with it. The effects of lime will not help your soil for at least 6 months. In the future if you plan to plant it is best to lime at least that far in advance. You should probably be careful with seeding and fertilizing at the same time. You have probably heard that fertilizer can burn your seed. The way we are doing a plot this year is to use round up wait a few weeks an then disc it up and plant. This particular plot has already been limed. The whitetail institue website and the quality deer management website have lost of information on how to plant.

We had 14" of snow the weekend of the 1st of april but with the warmer days and a stronger april sun angle the snow left quickly. We have not had any harsh weather since. Near the first of May to the middle we always have frost.