Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Persimmons from seed?

Old 12-14-2002, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Persimmons from seed?

I've seen firsthand how much of a deer magnet persimmons can be to deer. There are no persimmon trees on my property, but I could get some of the fruits (seeds)from a guy who has one on his place. In the past, I've never had a persimmon seed germinate and I don't know if you need male and female trees for the fruit to develope--and how to tell the difference. Anyone have any experience with this and know how to get seeds to germinate and how long it would take before fruit develops on the tree?

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Persimmons from seed?

You need to take the seeds out of the fruit now, mix them with moist (not wet) peat moss and store them in the bottom of your refridgerator until spring. In spring, plant the seeds in starting soil and keep the pots watered (not sopping wet). The seed is slow to germinate and may not sprout until June. Some people rub the seed on sandpaper to help break the seed coat or it can be soaked in 5 - 10% muriatic acid overnight. I usually get about 50 -75% germination with no sandpaper/acid.

Dan O.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might do just as well rooting some cuttings from a tree. Try adding a aspirn or two to the water or get some willow limbs and crush them and add them to the water.........Mr-Pirk
Old 12-15-2002, 06:54 PM

wow trees from seed? Ive never heard that one before....obviously they all start out that way but man how long from seed til fruit?

** I almost got him but I refuse to take a marginal shot **
Old 12-15-2002, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

knobby; they don't all start from seed. Some start from spores, others from from suckers and some will start from broken branches that find moist soil.

Fruit from Persimmon seed; it'll take about 10 years. You can cut that down to 3 or so years by planting 3 - 5 ft tall grafted trees. Plant at least 3 - 4 trees to make sure you have a male for pollination.

Dan O.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:15 AM

wow
Im too impatient for that haha. I'd pay the xtra $$$ to plant 1/2 grown trees...if they would survive the transplant?

and Id also hire a 24/7 armed guard to guard it from that monster buck youve been after from using it for a signpost rub hahaha

** I almost got him but I refuse to take a marginal shot **
Old 12-16-2002, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm glad I asked here. Dan O and Mr pirk's suggestions will improve my success rate for germination which was previously at 0%!!

I might have to buy an older tree or 2 though--I'm pretty impatient too!

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Persimmons are tough to transplant bare root. The bigger the tree the more prone they are to die back. Don't dispare though; they may look dead but usually put up shoots the following year.

IBA (Indole-3-butyric acid is rooting hormone. If you have the right strength of IBA, keep the cuttings warm and in a humid area, you can root many hardwood cuttings.

Dan O.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:31 PM

where can you buy whole persimmons and how much are they? i live in minnesota thank you for your help
Old 12-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try this link and you should be able to find some place close to you.

http://www.icserv.com/nnga/

Dan O.