Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Persimmons

Old 10-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default Persimmons

Couple buddiesand myself were out this past Sunday hanging a few more stands. Total so far on this 1200 acre spot we have is 7 ladder stands, 2 of which are 2 man stands if you feel like being in a lazy boy or if someone brings their kid. There are alot of small ponds, fieldsand swamp land on this area and a few spots we can't hunt cause of houses.

One of the stands thats been there for the past 2 years and had several deer taken from it is 35 yards fromtwo persimmon trees. Funny how we never noticed this in the past years. Don't know if they just didn't produce fruit, or totally missed them when scouting the area..

I know where I will be sitting this saturday on opening day. They aredestroying the ground while filling their bellies with this wonderful fruit.

We did find a dead 8 pointer on the edge of the woods thatbuttsupto an 85 acre pond. Nothing massive but still a very nice 8 pointer.

One of my buddies also bow hunts but will be in another stand 30 miles away trying to get a shot at a 12 pointer he's been watching. So I will have this place almost to myself till muzzleloading season.

How I wish it was friday already..
Old 10-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Persimmons

Yup persimmons been falling over a week, wish there was some on the place i get to hunt.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

man they love them things. Theres one in a guys yard near where I hunt and driving by at 5 in the morning you can count on seeing deer everytime eating them.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

Both trees are filled up nicely. Sunrise is at 7:09am this Saturday morning for opening day. I plan on being seated waiting calmly for at least an hour before sunrise to see what comes in to get some breakfast.

Been waiting all year to be sitting back in the woods to watch the world wake up.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Don't get too excited by a tree loaded with fruit, one year I sat near a persimmon that was busting with fruit but the deer weren't interested. It turned out that the fruit hadn't been "sweetened" by cool temps, so it was still very tannic. Unless the fruit is sweet keep looking, with the weather conditions we've had this year that fruit is probably very bitter.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

The whole area under the trees is just torn up from the deer being focused on that area. I tried one myself and it was nice and sweet. Normally you do need cooler weather but guess the temps in the 50's at night have helped them.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

They love them where I hunt too, but they don't want them untill we get cooler temps and they sweeten up. I will start testing them (tasting them) later this month.

They love the pears too but won't touch tem untill late in the season the ground will be covered in them....then all of a sudden they will eat thousands in a couple of days.