Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Improving a small piece

Old 12-13-2002, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Improving a small piece

I live on a small piece of land (14 acres) that's in the middle of some farm land. Most of the place is rolling to steep and wooded with junk trees that eventually grew where a pasture once was. My house is sitting on a 3 1/2 acre piece that was a cornfield until about 10 years ago when we decided to build here. Since I don't need that much of a yard, I've been considering letting nature reclaim more of the edges--maybe 1 to 2 acres total.

My question is this: should I just "let it grow" or try to plant something there like red clover or something similar? I'm a working man with limited income, but would like to make it more attractive to deer while simultaneously attempting to keep it from looking like an overgrown ugly tangle. Any suggestions?
Old 12-13-2002, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Improving a small piece

I like your attitude Dave.

You should set a goal: to have the best 14 acres a deer could ever want.

While it sounds small, on the land I hunt, and manage, I have a "core" area that I spend alot of time "improving" for deer. This is the section that I hunt, when I hunt seriously. Contained in this 10 acre section, is a VERY thick 5 acre core. Deer always bed here. Also, this area contains about an acre of GOOD food plot, I use clover, but another might work well for you.

Now the land I hunt is almost 200 acres, but I share the hunting time with 5 others, so I keep this "honeyhole" that I alone hunt in the far corner. I almost NEVER go into the thick section (Berrys, willows, some water, and few trees over 20 ft tall) Its a mini-sanctuary of sorts.) This small section offers everything a deer could want. Of course, I'm lucky that there is additional acreage for them to roam, still under our control. But, you may have a similar situation. The key is to make it a deer magnet, and to hunt it extremely lightly. If you live right there, you have to commit yourself to stay out of the "core" of the area 365 days a year, that is tough for a landowner to do.

Before you think that I have some "deep woods" honeyhole, let me explain, that My BEST area, the one I described, is right behind my neighbor's house, in the far corner of the property. Often, when hunting one of the 2 stands I have there, I can watch the neighbors go to, or return from work, even play or work, in the yard ... from my stand. They NEVER go into this 10 acre section that borders them, and rarely do I. I in fact think that its easier to hunt deer here than the more "remote sections" of the property, because the deer that reside, or visit here (and some good bucks always do - looking for does) are used to human scent, and I can get away with more here than in other sections.

I of course do hunt the other areas, and you should find another area as well, for most of your hunting, but save the "honeyhole" for 2 or 3 hunts a year, especially in the rut. And then, hunt the edges, with the wind in your favor.

Good luck.

Old 12-14-2002, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, get rid of the junk trees and plant some 1/4 and 1/2 acre plots. Plant the area around your house. Do a quality vitamin/mineral lick or two.Start now. Do some soil samples.

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 12-14-2002, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice.

Farmhunter--I have a "honeyhole" spot that I use very close by. It's an extreemly thick area (like you have) that is bordered mostly by fields of alfalfa and a major road on one side. It's only 3 acres or so, but it's so thick that deer like to bed there--even with the traffic noise. I do leave it alone and hunt just along the edges, but now that gun season is ending (I mainly bowhunt), the deer are reluctant to leave their beds in the center until after dark. I don't own this thicket and cannot plant much of anything anything in there, but I am allowed to hunt there. It's adjacent to my property and I could possibly plant attractive deer foods on my place to intercept them in the years to come. What to plant is a major consideration. The alfalfa fields are 5 or 6 years old and will probably be replanted soon with timothy or straw so some of the thicket's attraction will be lost. IWC is pretty expensive, any less expensive ideas?

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great advice from the others. As far as IWC being very expensive....it's just not true. The cost of developing a food plot, big or small really has alot more involved than just the cost of the seed. You will spend alot more getting the land right, than the seed will cost. Yes, the IWC seed is roughly twice as expensive as other clovers(and IMO better)...but you are talking about saving $30-$60 when doing small plots(1/2-1 acre). If you spread that out over 4-5 years of the plots life...using IWC costs $5-10 more a year to plant. Most people don't realize that the seed is the least expensive component of the plot the majority of the time. Good luck!

Old 12-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

WV hunter--your point is well taken. I'll keep that in mind since I know that it IS a good product.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave - its tough to go wrong with IWTC, because the directions are good, its preinnoculated, and it is a good product. I use it sometimes because its conveinient, and you can buy 1/2 acre bags from most sporting goods stores for around $30.00. You do not need a large plot, 1/2 acre might do you well (1 acre is better, long and skinny, with a "fat section" is best).

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Old 12-19-2002, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, any plantings should be in remote area's or along the wood lines.

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42