Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

First summer plot???

Old 08-04-2006, 10:55 PM

Default First summer plot???

Okay guys, after the season is over I'm planning on planting a summer plot? What suggestions or tips on what to plant for the first summer plot for this land. The plots will be very small ( 2 plots about 30 yards X 40 yards).I'm is central Alabama and the fields have pretty good sun light and good moisture. Planning on getting a ph soon.Just trying to get some ideal and set some goals for next summer.

Chad
Old 08-05-2006, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: First summer plot???

after you get your soil test, try and put down the recommended amount of lime and work it in if you can. it takes several months for lime to start working, and if you put it downa week or two before you planted it would be useless. 3-6 months or even longer would be good. you can also spray roundup on the area now to kill all the vegatation.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:16 AM

Yes I'm gonna put the recommended lime on and I'm gonna plant these two fields this fall with a mixture of wheat, clover, and winter peas. I'm just trying to get suggestions on what to plant this summer. Both fields are really small, and I'm worried that the deer will hit them hard before they come up good. Trying to find something that will be able to recover and keep coming up for the deer.

Chad
Old 08-06-2006, 12:37 AM
Typical Buck

maybe plant them in soybeans real heavy. that way they'll have something to munch on while the bean are putting in nitrogen to the ground. that way your wheat will have some N to grow on.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Soybeans, Lablabor Iron Clay Peas for summer. I don't think we are going to do the summer plots any more. Dry weather and very little usage of the plots when they do come up don't make sense. Fertilizing briar patches, honeysuckle and native browse makes more sense.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:07 AM

What type of food sources are in your area is one things to look at first. Deer will go for the high protein foods first. Next what are you trying to do with the plot. Attract, winter carry over food, or hunt over. For sure get a ph on the ground and then decide what the answers to these questions are.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:57 PM

There is no other food souces in the area except natural forage. I'm more interested in attracting and giving the deer more nutrienous(sp?) In the fall I'll probably disc and plant something else for hunting over.

Chad