Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

spring/summer plot

Old 01-06-2004, 10:00 PM

Default spring/summer plot

Im looking to plant a plot in the spring, I have several plots but only fall/winter plots. I tried Biologic this fall and was very pleased, but want something really high in protein for good antler growth. What should I try to plant for spring/summer that they really love and is very high in protein. Im thinking ladino clover, or alfalfa, but dont know if theres something better. Also thinking about soybeans but it may be too much work. Ill probably put out one three acre plot and one 1 acre plot.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: spring/summer plot

Ladino for spring and summer is about as good as it gets, palatability, nutrition. Alfalfa will get a bit more nutrition into the deer, but they like the taste of Ladino better. You can improve the alfalfa by mowing it several times to promote new tender growth that the deer like. Alfalfa is a bit more drought tolerant than Ladino due to a deep tap root, but needs better soil (lime, potassium, phosphorus) to do well.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll Second Ladino Clover - Maybe a blend of Ladino and another clover if your weather can be dry or fickle.

Alfalfa planted on Acidic soil will usually fail - if not then its usually to bitter to attract too many deer. Lime to 6.0 Ph for Clover if you can and close to 7.0 for alfalfa.

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:08 AM

Alyce clover works very well as a warm season planting. Works in poorer soils better than real clover. It also holds up to heavier browsing in smaller plots.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:10 AM

Ladino works great and will last until early fall plus provides high proten. You must have the right soil and get enough rain or it would be a waste of time. So if you are in an area with minimal rain fall or can't work the soil correctly another choice might be best.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

I'd recommend the Ladino as well. There's a new variety out called Durana. It seems to be a little more hardy than the standard ladinos and holds up better to grazing. I've got some planted and it has done very good. Alyce clover is great for a spring/summer planting but it will die come the first frost. If you're in an area that doesn't get a frost until late in the season it might be a good choice. Alfalfa works well if the soil conditions are right but sometimes it can be a real pain to get it established. With the amount of land you are going to plant try several different types of plantings. This will give you a better idea of what the deer really like and which one grows best in your area. Talk to the guys at your local feed/seed store. If they know what they're doing they can help you out a bunch with your selection.