Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Summer Plot/ Looking Rough

Old 05-25-2009, 04:21 PM

Default Summer Plot/ Looking Rough

I planted a summer plot March 23rd in the southeastern part of KY. The plot has clovers, wheats, chickory, lettuce, turnips, rye grass,etc.. a mixture from the local coop.This plot done great for about a month and a half. I got several hundred pics of deer, turkey, and elk now the plot looks terrible. This is the first plot for me and I was really just experimenting with it. Is there a need to cut this at some point and how? Do I need to spray it with anything to keep the grass and weeds from taking over, if so with what kind ofspray? For the last three weeks no pics, besides a couple of groundhogs! I'm planning to plant a winter plot also, any ideas or advice? All advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Summer Plot/ Looking Rough

well if u got a lot of pic's, it could be getting hit hard from the deer.....i dont know

i would have to see a pic to tell ya more about it
Old 05-26-2009, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Summer Plot/ Looking Rough

It sounds like what you planted was basically a winter mix. It could be that the animals have eaten everything. Most everything in that mix is an annual, and won’t grow back after being eaten down to a certain point.