Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

summer/fall plot

Old 05-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default summer/fall plot

i need suggestions on what to plant that the deer will eat in the summer and fall months. I live in western wisconsin and by a lot of farmland. thanks
Old 05-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: summer/fall plot

bucksniper14 Do you mainly want something to hunt over?. There is several options you have, but some things that make a good summer plot, ain't as good on in to hunting season.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

yeah i want to be able to hunt over it
Old 05-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

Based on what I've read, Sugar Beets work well in your area. Trying to compete with all of the Ag crops is not easy, but if sugar beets are not being grown around you, that might work.

There is a couple members on here from your area that could probably give you better ideas than I can. Maybe some of those gentlemen will have some suggestions for your area.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bucksniper I suggest Buck Forage Oats I have planted them for years now in OH. and they draw the deer. Pike
Old 05-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to give the buck forage oats a second. They are very winter hardy and deer do love them. I always mix rape, clover or turnips with mine to. Give them a little variety to eat.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not a big believer in summer plots. I think that the deer will eat the abundant natural vegetation that is just as beneficial or better than some of the planted stuff. Fertilizing the natural stuff will help. If you have a lot of farming in your area that is where the deer will be. I agree with the Buck Forage Oats for a fall hunting crop. If you want to plant some iron clay peas or something in the summer you can.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll obviously get plenty of feedback on forages to try. Based on our own property here in west-central IL, we've had the best luck at attracting deer to HUNT plots when using Bio-Maxx. Even in this rich Ag land, our deer simply love to visit this standing corn and soybean plot ALL season long. If you can locate a small clover and a brassica plot somewhere in the area as well you WILL have a year round whitetail attraction system that covers everything. year round. It just seems that the clover will lose a lot of its attraction after several hard frosts and many times the brassicas don't turn on really well until our season is nearly over.