Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Summer Food Plot

Old 01-25-2006, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default Summer Food Plot

As you may know im changing leases because of the goat issue...blah blah......so I have moved across the state from the hill countyto hunt the hard woods of the post oak region........I wondering what to plant for the hot and dry texas climate and when to plant it ?
Old 01-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Spike

Default RE: Summer Food Plot

The only thing I plant for summer plots is iron clay peas. The deer absolutely love them and they have a very high protein content which helps antler growth. You can plant them at different times during the summer, but having them out at the time that the bucks will be growing their antlers just makes sense to me. That means you'd like them out during May and/or June.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Summer Food Plot

ORIGINAL: SpringHillFarms

That means you'd like them out during May and/or June.
I would think that you would want them out sooner than that march/april

the thing with texas is you have to have water to grow anything so if you cannot irragate then you have to time your planting down according to when you can get some adequate rain. You want something that is drought tolerant, and beneficial to the deer (antler growth and healthy does for up coming fawns). All I dois feedprotein (antler max). Sometimes you can look at different web sites like biologic or the whitetail institute. They have guides that show youwhen and what toplant, or you could just drive around and see what is growing around your area see what farmers are planting and find out which are most beneficial to the wildlife. Good luck.....