Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Late Season Food Plot suggestions?

Old 07-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Late Season Food Plot suggestions?

Sorry about the pic's being side by side , but I can not change it as there is something wrong with the edit on here, the pic show up on that too

Guys , just out of intrest ,, Does the beans not get harvested early in your area ? Seems here they are the first crop to go off by farmers. This leaves a void for late season hunting...BT
Old 07-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

BT
- Locally, the beans (planted in ~late June) do not get harvesteduntil the early Nov timeframe.The harvested bean fields are usuallydrilled Nov in wwfor a spring crop. Deer will return to scavengethe bean fields inmid Dec or so.
- "Late season" hunting (our season goes out Jan 31) around food sources is focused on cornfields, ww/wo fields, or honeysuckle/other natural browse. I have heard a few guys talk of their success with kale around here.
- I tried planting several plots (~0.5A each) with brassicas (rape, purple top and forage turnips, or kale) for the past two years, and the deer have shown only minimalinterest. I've heard stories of deerdigging up turnips -two winters ago, my wife and I were diggingupturnips to add toour dinner stews, lol...Knowing that it sometimes takes time for deer to adapt toanovel food source,I plan tomix ~2# ofWI Winter Greensin with a 1A ww/awp plot this August. I also have an experimentalclover field with delar small burnet mixed in; burnet stays green into winter and I've heard/read that it can be a good winter forage.
- fsh

Old 07-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok thanks , I guess being this far North the beans are taken off earlier.

Thanks again
Old 07-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great advice Phade...

Adrian, last year the beans were being cut the 2nd week of Nov where I hunt and that's the end of our bow season plus as close to peak rut as we get, in fact, although deer are not too spooked by the combines and talking with the driver he said at times the deer come out to look at him, he cut during our prime time....

I took this picture from the stand.

Seen here in my journal entry: http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=179

Old 07-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Adrian; south of Hamilton they harvest beans around the first week of November. I've had them harvesting the fields around me during shotgun season.

Dan O.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Central NY - Soybeans are arelatively new staple crop. But the farmers I see planting them harvest before Mid - October - Usuallyafter the first hard frosts. I'm not sure how they use them - or if they just sell them. I know one farmer that makes their fuel out them.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

WE grow close to 3,000 acres of soybeans, we have one variety that we start combining just after labor day and we cut beans up until Thanksgiving, waiting for a killing frost is usually done if weeds are heavy, we use RR on everything and dont have that problem, we have JD combines with 35 ft grainheads and can get a lot of beans cut in a day, we still have to wait for the morning dew to dry, corn, we can start on it earlier in the day, we usually run it thru the dryer anyway.We have 3100 acres of corn,we will start picking corn about 8th of Sept. and deer will come out and watch the machinery without fear. I have thought about finding an abandoned combine and making a deer stand out of it....