Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Late Season Food Plot suggestions?

Old 07-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Late Season Food Plot suggestions?

Man you all keep me on my toes and on the right track. I'm not into planting soybeans, they are already there one field over and I'm actually trying to compete against the beans. I'm hoping the clover will have more activity when the beans turn (when is that)?

I'm interested in adding something like the rape and other broadleafs to experiment on what my little local herd wants on their dinner plate.

I think I have a plan.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

rob - when the soybeans Yellow - (Mid to Late Spt in my area) - the deer will abandon the soybeans and key in on :

1. clover or alfafa until 1st major frosts - then its clover

2. Mast (acorns, beach & apples)

3. Rye/winter wheat - new shoots.

The deer will suddenly re-discover the soybeans after combining - or if the field is left standing - November - when the pods start to split on thier own.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:57 AM
Typical Buck

Rob
- I'll ditto FH, with the soybeans losing favor with the deer towardsearly Oct in my area.
- If you wantto draw deer away from soybeans before the beans start yellowing, you can try Austrian Winter Peas or WGF sorghum. Deer willgenerally ignore thesorghum until the seedjust begins toharden up (about to goout of the "milk stage", turning reddish brown), and then they're on it until it's all gone (could be as short asa week+for high deer densities/small fields).Deereat only the seed heads - sounds like they are chewing on carrots. Just plant the sorghum ~85-90 days ahead of the window that you want to hunt - making sure that the ripening dateis beforeexpectedfrost (e.g. don't expect sorghum to ripen in Nov). Turks will come and scavenge the odd seeds the deer missed.

-fsh
Old 07-15-2006, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Guys, fantastic information, I hope everyone get's a chance to learn from you guys as well. I'm sure there are many lurkers than read and don't post and your information is invaluable.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob , plant sugar beets and or turnip for late season hunting like Pa has.

Once the first frost starts the plot will start in action.here is photo's ofwhat deer do to turnip in the snow...BT

Old 07-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob,

I have a fair amount of experience w/ this up at Jaws place last year in Oneonta, NY. Rape, Turnip, and Mossy Oak Full Draw are all awesome plots for fall seeding and late fall/winter food sources. I will have all 3 of these in my big plot.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Kale as well for late season.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rob, dont try to draw the deer away from the soybeans, it wont happen, we've got about 2900 acres of soybeans and believe me we would like for something to draw them away. We have over 3 grand in corn as well and deer are in there azz deep and would give anything to draw them away from it as well, we get so much crop damage and some of our landlords wont let us correct the deer damage situation. In the spring we have a couple plots we seed some clover and now I am getting ready to plant some turnips and rape, I have been on here for 8 years screaming about turnips, how good they are and lthey will run most of the winter for food. I have had bad luck with biologic, wouldnt give you the time of day for a truckload of it...I would not be afraid to plant some late soybeans now, they will grow and not set pods for harvest but be good for late feed until a heavy frost or freeze.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds great guys, thanks again for all the advice. With it I've formulated a plan. I'll plant some broadleafs including turnips, rape and prolly some buckwheat for a quick draw and cover for the rest. I'm surprised as well as the feed mill guy that my broadleafs were choked by the clover. He said if anything the broadleafs should have come on stronger and complimented me on how well the clovers did for the first year and only a 2 months....hopefully I'll have the same luck for the fall planting if not, I'll have an equally great one next year. I'll have to see how the clovers do when the beans are done.

What your saying here is what I'm hearing...." when the beans are on, the deer are in the beans...."
Old 07-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Sounds great guys, thanks again for all the advice. With it I've formulated a plan. I'll plant some broadleafs including turnips, rape and prolly some buckwheat for a quick draw and cover for the rest. I'm surprised as well as the feed mill guy that my broadleafs were choked by the clover. He said if anything the broadleafs should have come on stronger and complimented me on how well the clovers did for the first year and only a 2 months....hopefully I'll have the same luck for the fall planting if not, I'll have an equally great one next year. I'll have to see how the clovers do when the beans are done.

What your saying here is what I'm hearing...." when the beans are on, the deer are in the beans...."
I'd say that's a safe bet. However, don't forget the corn. My property is broken woodlot with corn, beans, and alfalfa surrounding every single lot I have. You bowhunt from what I remember of your posts. Let's just say my WHOLE non-rut bowhunting plan is targeted around one variable that may be a player in your area...the corn coming down.

My area deer will hit the alfalfa morning/mid morning, and soybeans late evening. But that goes out the window as soon as an area corn field gets the axe. The two following evening hunts, my rear is parked on a secondary trail leading out to that cut field.

Sound like you've got a real winner going. However, seriously consider adding kale to the mix. You already have two of the three brassica members in the family, why not add the third? It is one heck of a late-season attractant, and provides fair tonnage for winter foraging.

Quick Reply: Late Season Food Plot suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.