Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot Suggestions

Old 04-09-2007, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default Food Plot Suggestions

I recently got access to about 100 acers. I want to put a food plot on it but I've never done one before. I have no idea where to even start. I'm not even sure when or what to plant. I know I'm writing this sounding like an idot but really I'm sure there's more to it than just going out there with some seed and throwing it around. I could use some guidance and any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Food Plot Suggestions

First of all, are there openings on the property that are suitable for planting. I like a 1 1/2 acre or larger plot. If you are going to have only one plot it would be best if you have at least two stands for changing wind directions. Trim any needed shooting lanes or limbs.A separate access route to the different stands is nice also. Do soil test immediately and put out the required lime ASAP. About the middle of September be ready to plant. Its hard to beat Buck Forage Oats with a over seed of some sort of white clover for fall/winter hunting IMHO.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

What do I need to do to do a soil test?
Old 04-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need a shovel and a soil sample bag.

Here is a good article from QDMA on taking soil samples.

http://www.qdma.org/articles/details.asp?id=20

Here are several other good articles on food plots and habitat that make excellent reading.

http://www.qdma.org/articles/list_articles.asp?id=2
Old 04-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Big Papa maybe you should look for a farmer in your area and get some advice from him/her on what is suitable in your environment, maybe they would be wi8lling to till the area for you and help you get started...
Old 04-10-2007, 05:12 AM

clover and chicory work well
Old 04-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would be trying to contact some local experts like your local QDM branch or atleast your regional director. You state DNR biologist can also be of great help to you. Talk to the folks that are ost familiar with your local region for the best advise.

That being said, you've obviously for a lot that needs to be done. From soil smapling to the applying the proper amount of lime and fertilizer to the plot area. For a crop, I would be looking at a Fall planting for minimum weeds and maximim attraction during the hunting season. Something along the line of a Brassica or Oats plot would be a great choice in my experience. These plantings also grow the best in marginal PH soils and in a wide tempature and moisture range. Good luck and good huntin'