Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Late Season Food Plot suggestions?

Old 07-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Late Season Food Plot suggestions?

Okay, some of you might be following my fun project on my foodplot so far. If that's the case you know my clovers are looking fantastic.

The problem is I'm disappointed in the rape, turnip, brassicas that were intermixed with the clover, rye grass etc... I'm assuming because I seeded to heavy and or over one another/mixture wise.

I'm looking at discing the thinner areas of the clovers come August and planting a brassica/ rape/ turnip or like in strips within the foodplot. Something deer love when the weather turns cold.

I'm asking all of you for the best suggestion to plant.

I understand mid August is the best time in my geo area. Thoughts on that as well?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:48 AM

Default RE: Late Season Food Plot suggestions?

Rob, I found mixing plots is tough to control. Especially grass and weed problems. If you have room I would continue to pamper your clover as a clover plot only and start a new location with Brassica (Rape, Kale Turnip). But if room is a problem you don't have a choice. If grass is a problem you can control with Poast and not hurt the plants but if you develop a broad leaf weed problem 2-4d will kill your chicory and Brassica.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Rob
- Ditto onproblems with mixing annuals and perennials in the same plot. Just the same, one annual you might want to take a look at is Austrian Winter Peas - (http://www.penningtonseed.com/section/wild_game_02.asp?type=articles&id=703&inde xp=yes). I will be planting 1+acre (mixed with winter wheat) in mid-Aug here in So MD. AWP is sensitive to early browsing, so if your deer density is high, the AWP may not make it to the cold season. If you use a mix, the winter wheat should still survive.
-fsh

Old 07-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

You've got the room just start another plot next to your clover.I have never seen where mixes work out well.
Spray roundup on your next plot and burn the dead stuff off,then plant your rape.The deer won't touch it till after a hard frost but after that they will dig thru snow all winter to get it.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Okay, sounds good but ya'll still didn't really recommend a good product..lol How's that LabLab...or any others. I want a broadleaf/brassica..etc to add beside the clovers.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob; I'd suggest that you leave what you have and start a new plot next to the present one. As said before spray it down and then plant rape or winter wheat or grain rye. You need to start frequenting the local Co-Op or feed store for generic seed. Pretty soon you'll be a real farmer.

Dan O.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Dan O, I'm ready on a first name base with the owner of the local feed mill, he'll mix what ever I need and I'm wanting brassicas, rapes, or similiar broadleaf right?

I'm wondering about Lab Lab, any experiences with it and perhaps what is it as far as plants?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Rob
- I planted lablab over three years, and have had mixed results. Think beans growing on vines (like cowpeas/blackeyed peas if you are familiar with them) and you have lablab. For one data point, deer completely ignored a (0.6A) lablab field Iplanted next to 12 acres of soybeans (lots of summer moisture then), and they literally walked through the lablab to get to the soybeans. On the other hand, I have had lablabgrazed out of existence by deer where there were no competing foodplots nearby. It is a gooddrought-resistant cropif it can survive any initial (~1 month) grazingpressure.Once established, the deerwon't kill it, it will keep coming back. Lablab is no good for a late fall crop, it will fall over dead at the first hint of frost and deer will lose general interest. Consider planting it in the spring when the soil has warmed and the danger of frost has passed.
-fsh
Old 07-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok if you mix rape ad the austrian winter peas this makes a great GREat mix they will eat the peas until the frost then will atttack the rape giving the peas a chance to come back and then they will go back on them again trust me it works very well
Old 07-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a little more Old School - especially on a new piece.

Spray - Disk - Plant RYE or Winter Wheat. Then plow it under next spring or spray/Disk again - and plant a clover or Soybean Plot.

This Fall (Late July) we are planting Clover/Winter Wheatand Brassicas in 2 differnt plots.

Good luck - Don't mess with the plots you alreay have in until at least Year 2

FH

Quick Reply: Late Season Food Plot suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.