Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot Suggestions

Old 04-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Food Plot Suggestions

I recently purchased 55 acres of land in central Wisconsin. I harvesteda decent six pointer and a mature doe off the land. This upcoming season, I am interested in planting some food plots. There are so many different types of seed and fertilizers. So, if you have any suggestions on what has worked for you, what didn't work for you, reccomendations or tips, any thing is appreciated.

Thanks.
Brandon
Old 04-08-2008, 04:57 PM

Default RE: Food Plot Suggestions

Depends on how big you want it 5+ acres I would plant corn.Anything smaller corn would not be effective. In GA every year I plant a mixture of clover-25% iron clay peas-25% and wheat-50%. The clover will require alot of rain and too much fertlizer will burn it up. I spread some 10-10-10 and cover it up about a week before I plant the seeds. If your pockets are deep you cant go wrong with mossy oak bio-logic ( follow the directions on the bag) I will lightly fertlize it again once it gets going ( not to much) I dont use lime at all the soil down here already has a high PH already.
Honestly I would have the soil tested before I did anything that will better let you know what and how much fert. to use. Oh and you need to figure out how to make it rain when you want it to. That helps alot!!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

www.whitetailinstitute.com

check out that site, and if you have any questions they're very good about responding quickly to email questions
Old 04-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The foks on the QDMA forums are awesome help to get you on the right track for growing more and bigger deer.

I would personally set aside a few acres of smaller plots. Based on our own personal experience on our tract, I'd seriously suggest a plot of Bio-Maxx as well as one of Buck Forage Oats and possibly a Brassica plot. If you have more available area for a larger plot than one of the commercial blends of clover is also an excellent choice. These plots combine will maintain your own resident herd of whitetail throughout the season and keep more deer on you instead of your neighbors. We have certainly seen our property attract more and larger deer every season since providing quality small plots. Good luck

Some pix.....

BioLogic Bio-Maxx

Buck Forage Oats

Tecomote Ultra Forage (brassica)

Old 04-12-2008, 05:08 PM

Outdoorsman,

Were in central WI? Are you in sand country, or heavy soils. Are your food plot areas already clearings, or do you need to determine locations yet? At this stage, what is more important is thoughtful planning on food plot locations, then take next step of getting soil test done.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Il-Cornfed: thank you for the great pictures. They really help give me an idea of what they look like. If you had to pick one that the deer use the most, which would you pick? and In your picture of the Bio-maxx, was there corn interspersed in the food plot or is that what it looks like? Thanks again for the great pictures.

Lyndon46:
we are in portage county. it is a mix of sand and soil. it was an old crick bottom, but the surrounding farmers have really lowered the water table form constantly watering their plants. It is about 3/4 acre. It has alot of tall grasses now. We plan on mowing them down and tilling up the soil. Then we are going to run up to the Fleet Farm and geta PH test. It seems like Biologic and whitetail Institute seem to be pretty similar so we are going to try half and half and see which the deer prefer and which grows better.

Thank you everyone for your postings. They have been very helpful.

~Brandon