Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

dogs in the deer woods

Old 11-09-2004, 09:33 AM

Default dogs in the deer woods

i had just got sit in and comfortable in my blind last night and i be darned if my neighbors dog didnt come through sniffing the ground where the deer pass through and pissed on the corn/apple/molasses block i had layed out for the deer.i was just wandering how this will effect the deer.i had a cpl. of does come in and sniff at the block and stomp and tried to figure it out.they even blew at it a few times.they did a circle around the block and wouldnt dare lick it or taste it.i was just wandering how this will effect any future hunts.however i did have a nice buck come through the top edge of the open spot in the woods in the last 5 minutes before complete darkness.never had the shot i wanted so it let him walk and hope for a better shot another day.oh yea and one more question,a cpl of the does bedded down close to my blind and i had to spook them when i left,im not sure where the buck was because i lost him in the brush but i know the does saw me because they all blew and tokk off.i saw tails everywhere.just curious if they will avoid that spot tonight?
Old 11-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dogs in the deer woods

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Deer are used to dogs in the woods, at least where I hunt. Not saying they will hang around if they see a dog, but I don't think the scent will be a big deal. Dogs run by me often where I hunt. I don't shoot them.......although the thought has crossed my mind......but these are someones pet. They have collars and are not "wild dogs". That would be a whole different story.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:58 AM

Eddie sounds like maybe you set up to close to their bedding area. Maybe you should try to move back some. Did you wait till it was dark to leave? Did the does smell you or see you?
Old 11-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt around alot of homes .I see Llamas,dogs,cats,chickens,geese and the deer just ignore most of them.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anymore llama sightings , cardeer?
Old 11-09-2004, 10:23 AM

I have found that when dog/s come through the deer will take off and my hunting that spot for that day is shot so I started shooting just behind the dogs which scares the hell out of em and they usually dont come back but the ones that do I shoot em, I have seen so many dogs running fawns until they collapse from exhaustion then they attack it kill it then leave so I have no problem shooting them some bodys pet or not. If this statement up sets anyone I am sorry but I have seen to much abuse to the deer by dogs that something has to be done. At least a Coyote will eat its kill.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm not crazy about shooting them ,
but if I see them chasing game , pet or not , they go down .
Old 11-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

i know the feeling, have had a few bow hunts ruined by dogs in the woods. anymore i just chalk it up as a bad day. i will not shoot them unless they make a move towards me. most of the time they are pets from some local family, not a good way to build up hunting relationships with the neighbors if you shoot their dogs. here in virginia, using dogs to hunt is legal so i try to avoid any problems.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:39 AM

1dahunter,
I would have to somewhat agree with you on this situation. If I saw a dog in the woods I wouldn't shoot it unless I saw it chasing deer, I'd see no problem with it pet or not. I don't think all deer are completely afraid of dogs though, I think they know what dogs are threats and which ones are not. I once was hunting and my own dog followed me out, there were deer out on the field and she walked out onto it and the deer just looked at her. They wern't spooked, they just remained consious her. I just have to say if you're going to shoot a dog, make sure you kill it. I know a family who had their dog shot by a bowhunter and he shot it in the back hams and he crawled back into their yard and their kids had to see that. That's wrong.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I usually throw them cookie or something if they come by my stand. You're going to kill a little kids pet over a deer? You gonna go look the kid in the eye and tell him about it too? Chalk it up as a unfortunate hunt and move on. Don't kill a domestic animal for Christs sake.

Quick Reply: dogs in the deer woods

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.