Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

dogs in the deer woods

Old 11-12-2004, 05:05 PM

Default RE: dogs in the deer woods

All I have to say is shoot wisley, If man shoots my dog while hunting he will be in a world of hurt.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:13 PM

Saw a dog today while on my property. I had 3" of 00 buck shot in my 12 gauge. He was 10 yards away. I let him go. I will not shoot a dog. If they attacked me then I would, but just for "fun" then no.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:14 PM

Steve- No I would not let my kids play in the road, nor do I let my dogs. Luckily I live at the end of a dead-end street so traffic isnt a problem. Only one of my dogs has made an attempt to walk up the road and now she isnt allowed to be loose outside without me keeping an eye on her.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:17 PM

I know I live in South Korea right now!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Listen, we have a major problem with stray, wild or feral dogs, what ever you call them. The club I'm in, on average, harvested thirty to forty deer a year when I joined. Now if we get ten a year we are lucky. One thing we know, is that dogs are a big problem. We see more dogs tracks then deer tracks now. We have several trail camaras placed on the property. Guess what 80% percent of all pictures are of------------- D O G S ! ! ! None of them have collers.

So which is it?

Landowners rights or pet owners rights?

What if your pet dog, is responsible for causing someone in my family riding a horse on my land, to fall off and get seriously injuried or killed because your dog chased or spooked the horse? Whos responsible for your dogs actions now???

I would not shoot someones pet dog but as far as Im concerned, the pet dog owner should be charged with tresspassing and pay a fine to the landowner. Maybe that will keep pets out of the woods.

I own dogs, and I go out of my way to make sure they aint in the woods. I would think that another man in his right mind would respect another mans right to his land.

If its not someones pet, remove it. If it is their pet, hold them responsible.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

ive seen far too many stray dogs chasing deer in my time hunting. i havent shot any but have considered it since when i see the same dogs doing this on my family's and neibhbors 1000 acre block of land. we dont know where these dogs come from, but as far as i can tell, they have no owners.

i would never shoot a dog the first time i saw it chasing a deer, but if i have seen it repeating this behavior miles away from any possible owneri might consider shooting it
Old 11-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think the dog will bother them. .they're used to coyotes and such it would probably be alright. As for the does. most likely will take a little while for them to adjust and come back.