Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

dogs in the deer woods

Old 11-09-2004, 10:47 AM

Default RE: dogs in the deer woods

I agree with you NY. Why shoot anything if your not gonna eat it. And to shoot a dog just because it happens to be in the woods is wrong. Yell at it or throw something at it. The dog isnt gonna stop the deer from coming back. To me there is never a reason to shoot a dog. [:@]
Old 11-09-2004, 11:19 AM

I can understand how a dog can 'ruin' your hunt, thats why I never let my dogs out before dark during hunting season. My problem is that my dogs will decide to not come home til the next day once in a while, and that concernes me....knowing that there are people (especially the idiots around here) that will shoot my dogs. So far I have been lucky, and my dogs have decided to stick around the house and come back after they do their business...but just the thought of someone shooting them kinda concernes me, they are family to me, I raised them since they were pups and if someone kills them, god knows what I might do [:-]

Some will probably flame at me and say: If you like them so much then keep'em fenced, but oh well! I don't shoot people's dogs when they coon hunt at night because they 'ruined' my good nights sleep...

That reminds me I need to make my dogs a couple of orange jackets
Old 11-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

being that I'm in VA people seem to like to hunt with dogs, although I hate it I can't blame the dog for being in the woods, they are the ones paraded around in a wooden or metal box and then dumped into the woods. Usually if one comes near me or wont leave me alone, I break a limb (like a switch) off of the tree and give it one quick whip on the behind and it will take off. I don't think I would have the heart to shoot a dog if it wasn't aggresive
Old 11-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't trying to start a pi$$ing match about shooting dogs. I stand by my comment that I don't think dogs will affect your hunting from a scent aspect.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:35 AM

And just to make some feel bad...

My dogs then....and now...

Old 11-09-2004, 11:50 AM

Funny this topic comes up. I was in the woods Sunday morning in my stand. I see three does hopping across an open field where I never seen deer before. Then a couple minutes later another one hops across the field, in total 8 does came across the field running. Not flag up running but getting away from something in the woods there were coming out of. Just after the last doe I hear a BOOM gun shot. After the hunt we meet at camp and I ask the guy that hunts in the area the shot comes from, which happens to be the area the does are running out of, what he shot. Hes saids " I shot at the biggest damm coyote i've ever seen". Hes seen deer every time out but this time and only sees a coyote.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:00 PM

As for shooting another mans dogs, I would be livid if someone shot my dog! So I would use common human sense and let the dog do what dogs do, and hope for a better hunt the next time. A mans money, wife and dogs are the three things that if messed with can turn a mans mind bad quick.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:23 PM

SHOOT the Damn dogs. . . .a pet owner that loves his pets will act responsibly and keep his animal where it belongs, on his land. I love mine but I would have no sorrow if I was acting like an idiot and letting my dog run amuck.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:30 PM

What do you gain from shooting the dog? A 200 class buck gonna come out and dance a jig as the dog hits the ground? You lost your hunt if you shoot it or not.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

You naysayers are entitled to your opinions too ,
but until you've been treed by a pack of feral dogs you don't have a clue how bad dogs can get . Until you've seen a fawn or calf ripped apart by them for fun you don't realize the damage they can do . Feral dogs are a huge problem in rural areas , they've been known to menace or even attack solitary people . They are considered vermin here and a threat to safety , and are routinely shot on sight . If you don't want your dog to get shot start following the leash laws that every single state has . You are responsible for your dog , any damage it causes , and it's death if you let it roam free here . In other words , you have nobody to blame but yourselves .

Quick Reply: dogs in the deer woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.