Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

dogs in the deer woods

Old 11-09-2004, 12:35 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: dogs in the deer woods

I agree NY Bowhunter. Big tough man to shoot a dog. What a POS. Over a deer. I about shot a man over this issue. Somebody shoots my dog, they better worry about themselves when they climb into a stand 5AM.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:37 PM
bigcountry

Kevin, I don't think these tough guys are talking about feral dogs or wild dog packs. They are talking about peoples pet in my opinion.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:40 PM

I think we lost track of the beginning topic
i be darned if my neighbors dog didnt come through sniffing the ground where the deer pass through and pissed on the corn/apple/molasses block
Old 11-09-2004, 12:50 PM

I agree with shooting a random, free ranging dog. People dump puppies out at the dumpsters here all the time. I do not agree with shooting with someones pet, especially if it has tags and a collar on.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:38 AM

I believe that in NY it is a law to shoot any dog chasing a deer before you shoot the deer.As far as being able to look the owner in the face after I didit,it would be no problem.A dog is a domesticated animal and should be taken care of as such.This does not mean being left alone to run wild.The dog is just doing what comes natural to it.I probably wouldn't shoot a dog not chasing a deer,but one that was is dead.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:21 AM

Wow, some of you need to get a grip. I am an avid hunter myself and found this site today. After reading through the threads I decided to sign up thinking this a good bunch of sensible people chatting about what they love. Low and behold the next thread I come to is a bunch of moronic people shooting pets because they'll mess up their hunt. Get a grip there will always be another day to hunt. How about politely suggesting to the owners of the dogs that it is risky to let them run around during hunting season?

I always believed that hunters were a bunch of respectful outdoorsman. The sacred hunting tradition has been passed from my father to me and I intend to do the same for my childredn. Is this what hunters have come to? Are these the kind of people I'm letting hunt my land?

Remember, it only takes one to screw it up for the rest. Lets let peta know hunters are a bunch of pet killers.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Kevin, I don't think these tough guys are talking about feral dogs or wild dog packs. They are talking about peoples pet in my opinion.
Where do you think feral dogs come from ?

I don't shoot a collared dog either , especially one I recognize , but I do make them feel very unwelcome . I control my pets and expect my neighbors to do the same according to law .
Old 11-10-2004, 06:29 AM

WOW!!! we went from a neighbors dog taking a wizz on a deer block during a hunt, to a neighbors dog forming a pack of wild feral dogs and running down and tearing deer and livestock apart. Good thing this story wasn't about a man in the woods. This thing would be flipped so that bigfoot attacks hunters and chases kids home from school.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:38 AM

Feral

\Fe"ral\, a. [L. ferus. See Fierce.] (Bot. & Zo["o]l.) Wild; untamed; ferine; not domesticated; -- said of beasts, birds, and plants.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Feral

adj : wild and menacing; "a ferocious dog" [syn: ferine, savage]

Kevin that is Websters definition. A domesticated dog is not by definition feral simply because it is in the woods next to its house. And unless the dog is acting like CUJO I don't think they can be called "ferocious". Now if the dog is left in the woods for a year and is ferociously attacking game VOILA it is FERAL. Shoot away, but don't shoot OL Blue for Petes sake. Hate to know a "man" shot my dog over a deer. Course if it happened and I knew it, hate to be that "man". BTW my dogs are kenneled unless I'm with them.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Roost ,
I was already aware of what the term "feral" means , and I knew that it didn't mean "Rover just got out for the first time" , but thanks for defining it for the rest .

What I'm thinking you're all failing to understand is the magnitude of the problem . I'm not sure how many of the "don't shoot the poor doggy" crowd live in the city or the 'burbs , but you don't seem to grasp that once Rover is on his on for awhile he invaribly reverts to pack mentality and seeks out a pack to join . Cute , fluffy Rover then becomes a problem animal with little control measures other than getting shot to alleviate the problem . Cities and suburban areas have dog catchers to keep the problem under control , rural areas rarely do .

Once again , I don't shoot an obvious pet , but if it isn't collared and/or is chasing game it gets shot here . Make of that what you want , but if you don't live with the problem you don't have to deal with it , we do . If you don't want your pet shot out here you keep it in your own yard .

Quick Reply: dogs in the deer woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.