Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Spike Bucks

Old 11-12-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Spike Bucks

Hello everyone,
I would like to hear your opinions on something. I went to Northern Minnesota this year for deer hunting. We shot a couple of nice Bucks. We passed on four different spikes. We visited a camp down the road from us and told them about the spikes. The general response was " Kill those spikes, once a spike always a spike. They are genetic defects". I have heard this before but never really believed it. My question is do any of you know the answer to this? Is a spike always a spike? If this is the case you would think you would see more large spikes running around. Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Marty
Old 11-12-2004, 07:15 PM

Default RE: Spike Bucks

That is completely wrong. A spike in some areas is a 1.5 yr old deer. The next year it will be anywhere from a 4-8pter (generally). Basically a spike is a step up from a fawn.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:19 PM

i dont know the answer but however i have seen some big bodied spikes before that looked like it should be a 4-6 pointer.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:55 PM

My question is do any of you know the answer to this? Is a spike always a spike?

No, a spike is not always a spike. Deer that are spikes their first year will generally always get bigger in the following years. But most bucks that are spikes their first year will always be "behind" other bucks of the same age. A 1 1/2 year old spike will never produce a set of horns as big as a buck who was a 4,6, or 8 pointer his first year.

There are alot of ranches in this area that have a "kill on site" policy towards spike bucks. But these are very well managed ranches and most of the time a spike buck is a rare sight. However I dont recommend people killing 1 1/2 year old spikes, unless you have a very strict management program. IMO the only spikes that should be shot are the ones who appear to be older then 1 1/2.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

I read a report one time on spikes and they can become good rack bucks as they get older according to the research!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

spikes are usually a result of a later born fawn, overpopulation or simply a lack of feed for the deer in my experience. they simply got off to a bad start and will catch up.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

Usually they will grow after the first year to at least a four. Occassionaly one may stay a spike. most likely yes it will grow.