Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Poachers at it again

Old 10-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Poachers at it again

mod70 sounds like we had about the same experience. Road hunters busted the deer crossing the county road to my property. They didn't make a kill but sure fouled up my hunting. Sad thing was the game warden had a dummy deer set up 2 miles west of my property and didn't catch a shooter all day. This is getting bad down here in the southwest part of the state. I think it gets worse every year.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:42 PM

I haven't confronted the land owner with the topic of poaching, but... can I, as a hunter that has permission to hunt private land, have any say on prosecuting a poacher on the land I hunt? Luckly I haven't had this problem, but I worry because there is land that borders my area that is leased by a hunting club and I'm seeing lots of signs of big deer near the property lines.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:24 AM

you have every right, but it is your duty as a sportsman and a citizen of the united states, to report and give any amount of information that you possibly can to prosecute and convict ANYONE commiting any type of crime and poachins most certainly a crime. As far as game commission goes, that's one of if not the most serious of crimes while hunting.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

David: If the land owner doesn't sign the complaint in Oklahoma there is nothing that can be done short of the game warden catching the poacher himself.

As for the people that say : if he is feeding his family it should be overlooked" I say that is BS. I'm short of money right now can I rob a bank.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:48 PM

Im not sure on the laws in georgia but here in Arkansas anyone can turn in and prosecute poachers. I saw 2 men last year shoot a deer out of a truck. The deer was in a neighbors pasture and I called and turned them in and got a reward for giving them the plate numbers. I followed up on it and they were prosecuted. I think poachers are lower than pond scum.