Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Bloopers

Old 10-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting Bloopers

I would love to hear about funny, crazy, wacky, silly or just plain unbelievable things hunters have done or Things that have happened while hunting or getting ready to hunt or after the hunt ect.ect...Like this one, One time when I was squirrel hunting in late October I had just shot a squirrel and went to retrieve him in a grape vine thicket. After finding the squirrel I laid my gun down, took out my knife and started to clean him. While down on my knees I heard what I thought was someone whispering. When I turned my head I found my nose 6 inches from a 5 point bucks nose! I had just shot the gun 2 minutes before and was making all kinds of noise the last thing I expected was a deer in my face. He must have been deeeep in the rutting mode and if I hadn't turned my head when I did I may have found out what those does feel like during the rut! When I stood up (shaking like a leaf) he just walked away slowly.No care in the world! I couldn't even hunt anymore that day. I was totally freaked out! Do you guys have any stories like this? If so I'd love to hear them. I have a few others but I would like to see some of yours first. I don't want to make myself look like too much of an idiot yet. I hardly know you guys...LOL....Have fun...Jim
Old 10-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Bloopers

Well ill start it off..I was deer hunting last year and it rained that nite and it was really cold, so cold the rain was starting to freeze. well theres this bridge crossing aa little creek we made, its called the idiot bridge, its called that because mostly only an idiot would cross it because its dangerous and not very stable. well the creek was flooded so i had to cross it. well i was half way across and thought well hey this aint so bad...yep i had to say somethin..there was a slick part of ice on the bridge i didnt see and busted my a$$ and to make things worse i fell in the creek and hit myself in the head with my gun!!! the creek was only about a foot deep so it wasnt that bad but still i was pretty mad at the time. but know that i look back at it all i can do is laugh
Old 10-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Great story! LMAO!
Old 10-20-2004, 11:20 PM
Fork Horn

Happened late last season. One of my sons and I drive two hours to the property a day ahead of the hunt. We sleep in the car in sleeping bags. We finally awaken and start getting ready.

Me: "Lemme click on the roof light so we can see."

(hurrying as fast as we can, we both get dressed and hop out into the instense cold!)

Son: "I'm ready. You?"

Me: "(quietly closing the car door) Yup. Ready."

Son: "It feels nice out here. I was actually pretty hot in the car."

Me: "Yeah, but you left your thick cap inside. It feels nice now, but in an hour you'll be wishing for it. I'll open the car. (open car, get cap, ease door shut)"

Son: "Thanks.

Me: "Okay my boy! Let's tear it up!" (Start walking down the path)

Son: "You think we need a flashlight to see down this path."

Me: "Nah. Eyes will adjust soon. But I usually keep a flashlight in my pack, just in case."

Son: "Oh, but you left the pack in the car when you got my cap."

Me: "Doggone it. Glad you caught that. That would have been disastrous! (Walk back to car. Open car, get pack, ease door shut)"

Me: "Okay! Hopefully now we can get going now."

(Start walking down the path. I happen to turn around to look behind me when I see a dim light glowing in the direction of the car)

Me: "Ah! Left the roof light on it the car! Here take the keys. Could you click it off for me?"

Son: "Sure!" (Son takes keys, runs back, turns off light. Eases door shut and runs back to me"

Me: "Thanks son. Easier for you to run back than me, since I'm carrying this heavy pack. But where is your gun?"

Son: "Ah! Can you believe this? I laid it against a tree so I could crawl into the car and get the light!"

Me: "No problem. Just run and get it. It'll be starting to get light before we know it. (son dashes off and comes back with gun in hand)

Son: "I have bad news and good news."

Me: "You're kidding. Well - give me the bad news first."

Son: "When I crawled into the car, I had the keys in my hand. I must have briefly let go of them because now they are locked in the car!"

Me: "Oh no. Well. What's the good news?"

Son: "I have my gun!"

LOL.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some days I should've just stayed home.

I have hooked myself in the a$$ while fly fishing. [:@]

I got bit by a water snake while trying to unhook him from my fishing lure. Let him go, decided he looked like a cottonmouth, then got bit again while trying to make sure. Thankfully it wasn't.

I was lying down looking for snakes under an old abandoned house when a couple of deer ran right over the top of me. Jumped up to see what was happening and my dog clipped the back of my leg. He would chase anything that would run, and ran those stupid deer right over the top of me. Nearly threw my knee out of whack when he hit me. Had to limp back to the house.

Sat in a tower blind all afternoon. Never disturbed the wasps until a coyote came by and I shot him.

I thought my dog had treed a coon under an old belly mower. He had a different bark for different critters. This was defiitely the coon bark. Lifted one end up to see. Skunk! Took a direct hit at point blank range. It even bleached spots in my clothes where the spray hit.
FYI: Tomato juice and all 10,000 other old folk remedies don't work. [:'(]
Old 10-21-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well this happened just last sat 10-16-04. My nephew was in need of a new bowcase. Well i just happened to have an SKB very nice bowcase that i bought a few yrs.back that i never used! So instead of selling i thought i would do a good thing and just give it to him. Well i did, He went home and took all his stuff out of the old one and put the arrows and release, ect ,ect, So Last sat he gets up nice and early drives 35 miles to where he hunts, Gets out opens the bowcase And guess what? every thing is there except the dam-bow? I (LMAO) I asked what did do? He sead nothing i got back in the truck and went to sleep. I asked why did you not go back home? He sead (HELL NO) I was not about to let my wife no what i did she would never let me live it down.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Now I can tell you my idiot story! One day while hunting I came across a nice little 4 point. The deer never saw me walk up on him and let me get pretty close.(15 yards) Just as I went to squeeze the trigger he spooked and turned his body so I hit him high and towards the back. The way he flipped back and twisted I figured I broke his back. He dropped like a ton of bricks! I walked up to him and poked him with the gun a few times but nothing happened. I could see that he was still breathing but he was out and not moving. This is where the idiot part comes in. I leaned my gun against a tree and took my coat off and got ready to gut him hoping he would expire while I was getting ready. He didn't so I thought I would speed things along by slitting his throat and bleeding him out. I've done this before on 2 doe's. As I leaned over the buck and stuck the knife into his neck He stood up and rammed me in the stomach! The jolt pushed me back about 5 feet! Now I find myself 5 or 6 feet away from my gun holding my knife by the blade staring eye to eye with an animal that is pissed! Lucky for me after a 10 second stare down he decided to make a run for it and I was able to get my gun and finish him off! I stood there for the next 15 - 20 minutes just talking to myself out loud about how messed up that was. If anyone had seen me they would have thought I was an escaped mental patient! Lesson learned! Stay away from the animal until you are sure it is dead! I can't blame this on youth either it happened last year! .... Hunt safe .... Jim
Old 10-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay............i cant believe this happened either, however it did and i will never forget it.
I was hunting i think it was end of october, and i had brought me a stool to sit on in this creek i call the honey hole, its just a dried up creek bed, but when you sit down in it you can see over the burm and be completly hidden. Well at about 1100 here comes a string of does all in a single file line like they were in the military!! They were using a trail only like 2ft behind me crossing the creek bed. Well 1, 2, 3, 4 5 does pass and i mean close!!! It feels like they are walking on top of me and here i am on this stool with my bow crouching and bending as far as i can to hide and wait for a buck that i hope it pushing them along, well i just had to stick my head up to look for the buck before he got too close and this doe, stuck her head right down in front of me....................it was like nose TO nose!! She snorted, and blew snot all over my face and glasses and i cant see a thing, so i stood up and start staggering around trying to see, i got deer jumpin and blowin all over the place!!! by the time i got my head clear and calmed down, there wasnt nothing left but blows and snorts in the distance!! That was the closest i have ever been to a deer.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

My gun jammed many years ago when I shot a doe,Had Nancy with me teaching her to hunt. I ran after the deer and when it fell one time I jumped on it and it got up and I road it down over the bank stabbing it in the neck all the way down.After it was over,Nancy said your nuts if you think I'm doing that. A guy shot my deer when I was dragging it one year.My pants fell off when climbing a tree. Oh and so many more in 44 years
Old 10-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Very funny stuff!!

1st
Last year a friend of mine wanted to borrow my shotgun for the opening of deer season. I was up the mountains at the time so I told him to go over my house and get it from my wife. When he got to the house my wife went upstairs to get the gun, unfortunately she grabbed my bass guitar case and handed it to him. Lucky for him he checked before he left. I can only imagine opening up the case to find a guitar in the morning instead of a gun. Maybe he could of hit it over the head.

2nd
I parked under some power lines last year to do some deer hunting. When I returned, I went to get into my truck and I got zapped while trying to lift the handle to open the door. For a few minutes I thought someone placed something sharp under my door handles as a joke as it felt like something was cutting my fingers. After investigating the situation and seeing no blood, I come to realize that because I have power locks, parking under the power lines must of sensitized my locks. Every time I tried to open the door, I would get zapped. That went on for about ten minutes. I finally smartened up and placed a shirt over my hand and was able to open up the door.

Moral of story: Don’t park under power lines if you have power locks. You may return home with your hair standing straight up.

Quick Reply: Hunting Bloopers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.