Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need advice on amuzzleloader.

Old 03-31-2004, 07:26 AM

Default Need advice on amuzzleloader.

I'm gonna buy a muzzleloader this year. My problem is I havn't been around them very much. I want to set one up to shoot long range. so the questions are.

what is the most accurate one you've owned?
how far could you shoot accurately?

also, whats a good place to find a deal on these things.(website)

thanks in advance
I know I'll get some help here.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:36 PM

Default RE: Need advice on amuzzleloader.

RBBH:;to start off with , you will probably get more responce on the blackpowder form,a little farther down.
it depends on how much you want to spend.T/C ; CVA ; Knight; all have good guns.
as far the distance,some bost at 200 yards.that may be possible,I have shot mine at 150 Measured yards and killed a nice buck.so I would think 200 would be in the ball park.
I shoot a CVA magbolt 150,with 225 grain power belt bullet,with 3 ,50 grain pyrodex pellets.

if I were starting over,I would get the encore.the reason being you can swap it from one barrel to another.that is the only reason.
My CVA is a great gun,and I am OK with it.

go to the blackpowder section and ask and you will get a lot of resopnce.
good luck on what ever you get.just do a lot of reading and a lot of shooting to get the right load for your gun.that is the main thing. all guns are different and shoot better with different loads.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

First off you better check your regs to find out if an inline can be used in ML season or just regular firearm season. Many inlines to choose from; I would suggest 209 ignition foremost, then you pick the brand based on feel and budget. I shoot a rem 700mls and have no issues. My groups at 100 yards are an 1", I can shoot out to 200 but max my yardage at 150. While most Blackpowder inlines will shoot past 150 I think this a reasonable limit to expect. I have taken 8 animals with the 700 and only one was around 150 yards, the rest have come around 100 or less. If your using iron sights figure more around 100 yards.

Now if I was buying new today I would pick a Savage MLSII, this the ML that you can use smokeless and BP or subs powder in. My hunting partner just picked one up and they are shooter's!!! Needless to say I am/was very impressed with the savage and the price is a lot less than one might expect.

I agree try posting in the BP section, lots of knowledgeable shooter available.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2004, 01:32 PM

can't go wrong with the TC Omega....Very accurate gun, I shoot 250 gr TC Shockwave bullets and 100 gr of 777. My groups @ 100yds are 1/2 inch, and the gun is one of the most easy to clean. Good luck
Old 04-05-2004, 08:57 AM

Thank you guys very much.

this is the help I needed, you guys got me on the rught track.

thanks again.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Spike

I hear that Knight 52 caliber is suppose to be nice. I saw a guy on TV last night down an antelope at a hair over 200 yards with one.

I don't have any first hand experience though.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:53 PM

There is a place on the web to visit. Prbullet.com These guys know what they are about. I only shot there bullets. Bullets are critical for long shots. They know there stuff. I would recommend a T/C Encore. I have one and have shot a deer at 267 yards with Dead Center bullets. I have a Knight and it is junk(Sorry knight boys just my opinion on the gun). It depends on what kind of lute you got. My set up in Encore with a weaver grandslam scope3.5-10 * 50MM, 150 grains 777 powder(thats right powder, it is more accurate then pellets, my own testing) 175grain dead center bullets. In order to shot a long distance you have to clean the bore after everyshot. Just my 2 cents prbullet.com these are the best in the biz.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:16 AM

Thanks ewolf, good stuff.