Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Advice (archery advice) >

Need Advice (archery advice)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Advice (archery advice)

Old 05-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need Advice (archery advice)

Ok, I'm in dire need of a new string. So my choices are:

let a local shop put a custom WC string/cables on me for $125+ and be done.

OR

I can get an apple bow press for under $200 (or a ratchet style for less than $50) and then get either a Gibblet or WC string/cables.

I like the idea of having my own setup so i can do my own work, but i've never done this level of work before and im worried i'll screw it up. Also, i've never successfully served a string, ive got the tool, but havnt found a good description of how to apply.

So what do you suggest, and if you recommend doing it myself, how difficult will it be???

Thanks,
Ed
Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need Advice

i put a serving on my dads bow a year ago at my proshop. he taught me how and it is quite simple. you need a bow press to do it tho[&:]
Old 05-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gibblet and a press, there is so much more you can do with a press other than change your strings and look at the investment end of it. A press is priceless at times....
Old 05-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Rob... I use my press all the time, and I've yet to change a string with it! Of course, I'm constantly setting up new bows. I use it mostly to intall peeps and change out string leeches.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a press and get ALL my stuff from John (Gibblet). I actually have to get the colors together for my wifes bow and get another set ordered from him.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would you suggest an Apple press, or one of the ratchet presses?

Old 05-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you're fortunate enough to find one somewhere, this is the press I would recommend...

http://media.putfile.com/Bow-Press-How-To

Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 PM

Geesh, I am too cheap again!
If the customer gets the strings from me I don't charge anything for the install.
I just did a full set of WC strings on a Hoyt today.
Total bill, including tax, 98.45

If you want to do your own work then by all means, get a press and do it!
I like my Apple press

Old 05-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoytteen

i put a serving on my dads bow a year ago at my proshop. he taught me how and it is quite simple. you need a bow press to do it tho[&:]
no offense, but no you don't need a bowpress. Lay the serving string facing your nocking point a few inches down, whatever you feel comfortable with, or however long you want to make the serve. The cut end should be facing your nocking point. Then start wrapping the serving back over itself, when you get to the end of the cut piece, start wrapping the serving directly on the string until you get up to where you want the top of the serving to be. Then make a big loop in your serving laying the clipped end headed back toward your loop/nocking point again. Using the loop wrap the serving back over itself. When you're done, pull the two cut ends tight with pliers, and I mean tight. Then singe the end of the serving after you've clipped it to the edge of your serve, this will ensure the serve from coming out.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

and by the way yeah, a press is a definite attribute to your arsenal. Once you learn how to take care of, and fix your own stuff, you'll feel a lot more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Need Advice (archery advice)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.