Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Drives

Old 11-27-2003, 06:50 PM

Default Deer Drives

Deer drives are the best!! Its so fun to kill deer on those...especially when they drive a big buck right to ya. I got my biggest deer on a drive, a nice, very nice, 5 pointer bout 17 inch wide rack just a beutiful deer. I' m not much into that still hunting sh*t. You gotta wit a couple hours or so to call them in...its just not me. So deer drives are the best.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:57 PM

Default RE: Deer Drives

well, ill agree with ya but then again sitting has also been just as productive for me as drives have.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:07 PM

Drives are cool as long as you trust the guys on either side of you. Prefer stand hunting but the shotguns are fun.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

they are great, if they are done safely. but if you still hunt, they arent always hauling @$$ when you shoot
Old 11-27-2003, 09:35 PM

We' ve always done both. Only do three or four " still-hunt" drives all day long. Just stand upwind for 10-20 minutes then the drivers still-hunt towards the standers. Best of both worlds, the drivers usually end up getting over half the bucks when they try to double back. Still get a few hauling hind-quarters, but not too many.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:16 AM

ahh our American infatuation with instant gratification ......drive hunting
Old 11-28-2003, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Glad to hear you didn' t have to wait a couple hours or so!!
Old 11-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

My club does not do drives and I actually wish that we would occasionally put on small drive. We have thick bedding cover and 4 big cedar fields that hold deer from all over. Howver, everyone sits and then complains about not seeing deer.

The biggest deer shot last year came after soemone got down (it was 8 degrees) and took a walk thru one of the cedars. Sure enough, a nice 8pt got pushed past 2 guys and one of them connected.

We used to hunt with some guys in central Jersey that only did drives and it was a blast. Safety and knowledge of the land are key.

Bob
Old 11-28-2003, 06:02 PM

I like both still sitting and driving for different reasons. It is really nice to sit in a stand early in the morning and watch the woods and wildlife. It also allows for setting up a nice clean shot on a still or slow moving animal. It fun being able to watch deer doing their thing not knowing that you are there watching them. I learn a lot about how deer act watching them in the mornings. Drives are fun as they allow for more time spend with my hunting buddies. They also test my shooting skills when trying to down a deer running with its afterburners on!
Fortunately for me, the places I hunt do still sitting in the mornings and then drives after we have set for a few hours. The best of both worlds.