Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Deer Drives NJ

Old 01-12-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Deer Drives NJ

I no longer hunt NJ for Deer, but my father does so this post is for him.

My father has either sex permits for zones 28 and 29. He only hunts public ground. From what he has told me, either he or other he knows have seen the WMAs he hunts driven hard by local clubs. Most of these lands border salt marshes. Hence, the deer not killed are driven deep into the meadows, only to emerge long after dark.

Its time to put an end to this madness. I have nothing against a small push with 2- 4 hunters trying to move some deer in ther favor, but these massive drives have to end. Esp on public land. From what I've read, the DEP Commish isnt a big fan of hunting. Maybe now is the time for a NJ resident who's fed up with this method to act.

Im not saying a drive ban should be state wide. If you own property, or lease your land out and think hunters moving through like the Nazi's through the Arden in 1944 killing everything in sight is cool, so be it. But hunters who rely on public land for hunting shouldnt be subject to this kind of hunting tactic.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:01 PM

Default RE: Deer Drives NJ

I don't think hunter's should try and ban any style of hunting in NJ. Get the ball rolling, who knows where it would stop. I live in this area. by a canoe and kill some monsters if you think its needed. I guide a piece of ground that butts up to the salt marsh and state ground and there is aways lots of shooting, dogs and men in the field. From Sept. thru April, still see deer al the time. They are marsh deer and yes thier big and different. Us local men take our boats out and set in small island, always see or shoot nice deer. It's hunting. These same drives push deer to hunters that would not likely see anything.
ORIGINAL: Duckmastor2

I no longer hunt NJ for Deer, but my father does so this post is for him.

My father has either sex permits for zones 28 and 29. He only hunts public ground. From what he has told me, either he or other he knows have seen the WMAs he hunts driven hard by local clubs. Most of these lands border salt marshes. Hence, the deer not killed are driven deep into the meadows, only to emerge long after dark.

Its time to put an end to this madness. I have nothing against a small push with 2- 4 hunters trying to move some deer in ther favor, but these massive drives have to end. Esp on public land. From what I've read, the DEP Commish isnt a big fan of hunting. Maybe now is the time for a NJ resident who's fed up with this method to act.

Im not saying a drive ban should be state wide. If you own property, or lease your land out and think hunters moving through like the Nazi's through the Arden in 1944 killing everything in sight is cool, so be it. But hunters who rely on public land for hunting shouldnt be subject to this kind of hunting tactic.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buy permits for other areas or hunt mid week. Where I hunt they drive also, but usually only during 6 day or saturdays. So If I don't want to be bothered I go weekdays. If I want to bag a deer I let them push one to me. Nobody is forcing him to hunt the areas that are driven. There is plenty of state land away from roads where he would not be bothered.
Or get into those marshes and wait for the deer to come to him. Sounds more like a plan than a predicament.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Drives on public land should STOP, but if you have your own land drive all you want
Old 01-13-2005, 02:39 PM

Fellow hunters please don't take this with any disrespect but.....

My license fees pay for "public land" just like yours do.
If I get together with a group of guys (I belong to a club that pushes zone 21 and 24) and push a piece of land that is public so be it. Deal with it. It's my land too as you can tell by the "public" in "public lands".

Why don't people that have an issue with "drives" buy/lease private land and hunt it?

Many a time we have pushed bucks to stand hunters and they walked out of the woods with a nice one. Also, many a time the deer out smart the club hunters and lay down and wait for them to pass.

Sounds like the gun control argument guys only switched around to "individuals hunters" against "club hunters".

Example:

Shotgunners hate pistol people
Pistol people hate rifle people
Everybody hates military guns, etc.

Be carefull what you wish for.........

First they came to stop the club hunters because driving deer was inhumane...
I was not one of them so I did nothing.

Then they came for the tree stand hunters because they hurt the trees...

Then they banned all hunting because it was cruel to the animals!!!!
I looked around and nobody was left to help me fight it.

There is power in numbers guys. lets not fight amongst ourselves.

RW3
Old 01-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well leasing land in NJ for hunting isnt easy, and very time consuming, plus alot of hunters cant afford the large price of the lease, then you said buy land? Can you afford to purchase land here in NJ?

Public Land hunters have to deal with many things which include other hunters that are hunting deer or small game, the general public who are allowed to hike, bird watch or whatever they want to do, the hunters dont need anymore problems. You have just as much right to be hunting the public land, but why add more problems to the hunters who only hunt once aweek, allow them there time to enjoy nature and the hunt.

I hunt public land, and there is a large group that drive the deer, we hunt so deep the drivers dont even come close to us, but we do here them yelling, and screaming. When I'm hunting I dont need to hear this crap, just shut up and hunt
Old 01-13-2005, 06:11 PM

Ray, I agree with you 100%. Most people would bitch if you hung them with a new rope! I'm a outdoorsmen! I hunt, fish and trap. I laugh when running my beagles on state land and a deer hunter only comes up and says " hey I'm deer hunting here." I laugh and say " OK well I'm rabbit gunning here. Sept.-Feb. isn't enough time. Kiss my a**. And away running dogs is what I do.

WW
ORIGINAL: RAY WOODROW 3RD

Fellow hunters please don't take this with any disrespect but.....

If I get together with a group of guys (I belong to a club that pushes zone 21 and 24) and push a piece of land that is public so be it. Deal with it. It's my land too as you can tell by the "public" in "public lands".

Why don't people that have an issue with "drives" buy/lease private land and hunt it?

Many a time we have pushed bucks to stand hunters and they walked out of the woods with a nice one. Also, many a time the deer out smart the club hunters and lay down and wait for them to pass.

Sounds like the gun control argument guys only switched around to "individuals hunters" against "club hunters".

Example:

Shotgunners hate pistol people
Pistol people hate rifle people
Everybody hates military guns, etc.

Be carefull what you wish for.........

First they came to stop the club hunters because driving deer was inhumane...

Then they came for the tree stand hunters because they hurt the trees...

Then they banned all hunting because it was cruel to the animals!!!!
I looked around and nobody was left to help me fight it.

There is power in numbers guys. lets not fight amongst ourselves.

RW3
Old 01-13-2005, 06:12 PM

This is just a selfish statement. Your club drives public land because you have the right. The hell with everyone else. Once you are done doing you thing, the deer will be alot less likely to appear during daylight hours for a good long time. You basically F'd up the area for a good long time, probably the remaining length of whatever gun season you are hunting.

Buy permits for other areas or hunt mid week. Where I hunt they drive also, but usually only during 6 day or saturdays. So If I don't want to be bothered I go weekdays. If I want to bag a deer I let them push one to me. Nobody is forcing him to hunt the areas that are driven. There is plenty of state land away from roads where he would not be bothered. Or get into those marshes and wait for the deer to come to him. Sounds more like a plan than a predicament.
My old mans retired and believe you me, he'd never hunt on public land on the weekends with what goes on now-a-days. As for your comment about making the drivers work in his favor, thats great if you know when they'll be there and once again, its a 1 shot deal. After the drive, the area's ruined for long time.

Its just a question of being considerate to others. I dont feel large groups or clubs that plow through Public lands are being considerate. They are just being selfish and trying to shoot anything they can and as much as they can. As I said, if you have your own place or leases that dont mind drives, go for it! Just leave some quiet places for others that rely on Public land for their hunting opportunites.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:38 PM

There must be a reason why other states do not allow organized drives?? I'm not a big fan of participating in deer drives, but I'm even more against quarreling amongst the ranks. I agree without unity the anti's have a better chance of achieving their goal. I feel the state should put some constraints on deer drives. Perhaps designate certain WMA's non-driveable and limit the amount of hunters participating in a drive. It's easy to point out problems, the challenge is finding solutions. Voice your opinions at your next local federation meeting... Just my 2 cents.
Jim B.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:52 PM

I laugh when running my beagles on state land and a deer hunter only comes up and says " hey I'm deer hunting here." I laugh and say " OK well I'm rabbit gunning here. Sept.-Feb. isn't enough time. Kiss my a**. And away running dogs is what I do.
It wasnt too many years ago when small game would be closed during deer seasons on WMA's. Now its open.

There are some real jerks out there, so i'd watch laughing at deer hunters when you run your beagles through WMA's during deer season. You may go home with a few less than what you started with,,,,

Quick Reply: Deer Drives NJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.