Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Drives...

Old 04-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Drives...

Has anybody done one? Was it successful? Tell us about it...
Old 04-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer Drives...

i have done it the past 2 seasons for a weekend each time. we were unsuccessful both seasons but then again no one in the group got anything the rest of the season either in that area.

its great if you know for sure where the deer are AND you have enough people to cover all the exits that the deer might take. with that in mind, you need to be very careful and know where your shooting lanes are. saftey is always first.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

i love deer drives. I always see a lot of deer but its sometimes hard to get a good shot off. I dont like drives with a lot of people...for me 4 total is plenty and most the time a 2 man drive is the best. I took a 14pt in 97 and a 10pt in 2005 off of drives.....but i have passed up a lot more on drives!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

W e have had pretty good success with drives. As with any style of hunting it is very hit and miss. Pick a good piece out wrap it up with however many standers you have then send the driver in on the side that will carry his scent through the block of woods. Slow quiet drives often lead to slowly escaping deer(sneaking out) where as loud disruptive drives often lead to deer busting out of there in a real hurry. Just based on my experiences though.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

i have never been involved with one but i have heard many success stories. Its not my favorite form of hunting but definitly effective. good luck
Old 04-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

We do alot of drives up here during shotgun / muzzleloader season. We are very successful.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:07 PM

deer drives work great, But you still have to get out and do your homework
Old 04-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I've done a few but not my favorite way to hunt. Safety first though and I wouldn't even consider doing it unless I was with a good bunch of safe experienced sportsmen.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

we do them after the 6 day firearm season to push the deer up from behind the houses.
we've only shot does and foxes during our drives, but the one year i didnt go to do the drives they shot a 135" 9 point and a 120" 8 point. drives are very hit or miss. it is also necessary to know the land and to trust the people ur driving with.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

I took my first deer, and my first muzzleloader deer, both doe, on drives. Drives can be very successful if you know which way the deer prefer to run.

Quick Reply: Deer Drives...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.