Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scouting and Accessing Public Land

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 12:30 PM
  #21  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by MissionOutdoors.net View Post
Boy you're sure a bundle of joy now aren't you. I don't recall saying this is effective or legal in every state. If you're not smart enough to know your own states laws, there's a problem.
I take it by that first comment that you don't like to be corrected, LOL!!! No, you didn't say anything in the video other than what you were doing is a great way to access public land. Without making any statements to check your state and/or local laws it was as if you were saying it was legal everywhere, so why don't you just admit that until you were told by myself and flags that it isn't legal everywhere that you didn't have a clue because that's essentially what you're saying now after you were called out on it! In fact, you even came up with incorrect statements in your second and third posts after we corrected you the first time and we then had to tell you those statements were also incorrect! As Oldtimr stated, you should have either stated at the start or end of the video that it might not be legal where others live, but you didn't because you figured all states were like where you live in MN and they aren't. Just admit it and let's move on!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-23-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 12:38 PM
  #22  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
MissionOutdoors.net's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 87
Default

That's where you're wrong Top. I don't mind being corrected one bit, and have already moved on. It is what it is. I added a disclaimed in the text of the video because it is the right thing too do. Sometimes a little more class and tact gets the point across a little faster though.
MissionOutdoors.net is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 12:42 PM
  #23  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by MissionOutdoors.net View Post
If you think that's bad, Minnesota made things even harder for those of us who hunt out of state. Because of CWD, we no longer can bring back the skulls or spines of a deer across the border, so just to skip over the pains of transport, I went ahead and found a taxidermist from across the border ahead of time, then since I process my own deer anyways, I just do so at a friends house over there. We need to have the used tag with us during transport. The only other option leaves you almost violating some of the laws in the other states on waste if you don't find and secure other processing options.
Just to clue you in on this one too, most states don't allow a person to bring back what you mentioned from any CWD positive state. It's very simple to bone the animal out or quarter it and leave the spinal column where you shot the animal minus the backstraps. It's also very simple to clean the brain and associated skull/antler area and finish it off by stopping in a car wash when you get to the first area that has one and wash it on out under pressure before you leave the state where you shot the animal. I've been doing that for the last 20 years every fall when I go out a couple months to Wyoming and I'm legal to pass through any state on the way home to MI.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-23-2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 12:50 PM
  #24  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by MissionOutdoors.net View Post
That's where you're wrong Top. I don't mind being corrected one bit, and have already moved on. It is what it is. I added a disclaimed in the text of the video because it is the right thing too do. Sometimes a little more class and tact gets the point across a little faster though.
Look man, you were the one that made the video that wasn't complete in it's information, not us! Then you continued to make wrong statements in more posts after you were told it's not legal everywhere. I'm sorry that I'm not as PC as you'd like, but it gets tiring to see all these so-called expert hunters out on the net that are just out there to make a dollar or two and don't have a clue half the time as to what they're putting out to unsuspecting people that think if it's on the net it's correct and accurate when it's not. It's also rather ironic that you came up with that comment about so many people not knowing the laws in other states when WE were the ones that corrected you about other states because you assumed in your video that the states were similar to MN.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-23-2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: add on
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 01:20 PM
  #25  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
MissionOutdoors.net's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 87
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 View Post
but it gets tiring to see all these so-called expert hunters out on the net that are just out there to make a dollar or two and don't have a clue...
Well, if you'd have actually taken a second to read my "About me" section on my YouTube channel, you'd have seen clearly that I am not calling myself an expert, and my focus is to get other veterans and youth on hunting adventures then film it for them. I could care less about ever being classified as an expert, but being a multi tour combat vet myself, other disabled vets are my focus. The before season stuff like scouting and what not, are to fill my time, have fun, and enjoy life.
MissionOutdoors.net is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 03:27 PM
  #26  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by MissionOutdoors.net View Post
Well, if you'd have actually taken a second to read my "About me" section on my YouTube channel, you'd have seen clearly that I am not calling myself an expert, and my focus is to get other veterans and youth on hunting adventures then film it for them. I could care less about ever being classified as an expert, but being a multi tour combat vet myself, other disabled vets are my focus. The before season stuff like scouting and what not, are to fill my time, have fun, and enjoy life.

Sorry, but I wasn't including you as an expert in that comment and it's great to know you served your country even though it has nothing to do with this thread. FYI I did three years in the Army Veterinary Corp during Viet Nam before you were probably born and Oldtimr is also a Vet, along with flags having served 20 years and just retired as a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy a couple years ago, so maybe we should just quit right here and move on!
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 06:18 PM
  #27  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
MissionOutdoors.net's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 87
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 View Post
Sorry, but I wasn't including you as an expert in that comment and it's great to know you served your country even though it has nothing to do with this thread.
Well I'm not a mind reader and just stating what I'm really about and involved in vs thinking or claiming to be an expert. Moving on.
MissionOutdoors.net is offline  
Old 07-25-2017, 08:10 AM
  #28  
Giant Nontypical
 
flags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CO Born but working in Athens, TX for now.
Posts: 7,676
Default

Originally Posted by MissionOutdoors.net View Post
Well, if you'd have actually taken a second to read my "About me" section on my YouTube channe
What makes you think that Top, OldTimer, myself or any other member is going to run to youtube and "research" you? Why not do a post here about you? That's what most members do. As to the "combat vet" you don't have anything on me or several other members. I did 9 combat tours to the Middle East as part of the Navy Expeditionary Combat Command. But your time in the field and mine have zero to do with this topic.

For what it is worth I have hunted in 13 different states, 2 Canadian provinces and made 5 safaris to Africa. Right now I have taken 68 species of game. This experience has shown me that what is legal in one place is not legal everywhere which is why I pointed that fact out. You may not care if someone else get a ticket for following what was flawed advice on your part but I do. Someone with less experience very well could take by the user name that you have and the fact it is a business that you actually know what you're talking about on a nationwide basis and you've proven you don't.

Last edited by flags; 07-25-2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Typo
flags is offline  
Old 07-25-2017, 08:49 AM
  #29  
Nontypical Buck
 
olsaltydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Onslow County, NC
Posts: 1,856
Default

Keep making your videos and sharing them.
olsaltydog is offline  
Old 07-25-2017, 10:15 AM
  #30  
Giant Nontypical
 
flags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CO Born but working in Athens, TX for now.
Posts: 7,676
Default

Originally Posted by olsaltydog View Post
Keep making your videos and sharing them.
I could care less if he makes vids and shares them. My point is the comment he makes in the original post is that his method is a great way to get into new hunting lands and he doesn't seem to note that they may not be legal everywhere. Several of us gave examples where his method will get you a ticket.

And I'm sure not going to bother going to a different site to look up his "about me" post. Why not just put it here.
flags is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service