HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scouting and Accessing Public Land
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 11:42 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MissionOutdoors.net
If you think that's bad, Minnesota made things even harder for those of us who hunt out of state. Because of CWD, we no longer can bring back the skulls or spines of a deer across the border, so just to skip over the pains of transport, I went ahead and found a taxidermist from across the border ahead of time, then since I process my own deer anyways, I just do so at a friends house over there. We need to have the used tag with us during transport. The only other option leaves you almost violating some of the laws in the other states on waste if you don't find and secure other processing options.
Just to clue you in on this one too, most states don't allow a person to bring back what you mentioned from any CWD positive state. It's very simple to bone the animal out or quarter it and leave the spinal column where you shot the animal minus the backstraps. It's also very simple to clean the brain and associated skull/antler area and finish it off by stopping in a car wash when you get to the first area that has one and wash it on out under pressure before you leave the state where you shot the animal. I've been doing that for the last 20 years every fall when I go out a couple months to Wyoming and I'm legal to pass through any state on the way home to MI.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-23-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling