Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Huning Corn Fields

Old 10-14-2003, 01:26 PM

Default Huning Corn Fields

I have corn all around where i am hunting and i dont know when they are gonna harvest it and i was wondering if there is a way to hunt the corn fields? Should i just have some friends push it hoping to get a deer to come out? or what!! im getting desperate. thanks.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:50 PM

Default RE: Huning Corn Fields

Look for travel areas leading to the field. If you want to take a doe, I would sit on the worn down paths that look like ' deer super highways' but if you want a buck, I would concentrate more on the less traveled paths. I think people get too wrapped up in hunting the actual food plot, corn piles and fields instead of the edges and woods right next to them and then wonder why all they ever see is does. I have found that a mature buck won' t hardly walk out in the open of a food plot in most cases but he will instead circle around it within sight checking out the does that might be there. There are exceptions of course but more of my time is spent right off the food source. Good Luck!! -- CDH
Old 10-14-2003, 03:33 PM

I agree with CDH,
I too was so concerned about hunting right by the field i was not seeing a thing. But as soon as i moved a litte inside i killed a deer. Try that it may help. just my .02
Old 10-14-2003, 05:45 PM

.308, when u said move in a bit, move where? into the corn and just sit among the stocks? thanks guys. who_else
Old 10-14-2003, 05:55 PM

a few years ago where I hunt there is a hugh corn feild that doesnt get harvested, it is corn and soy. Like 20 yard wide rows and some fellas drove the rows and let me tell ya they kicked a pile of deer outta there. I would probably do what the other replies said look for trails going in and out and setup there about 30-40 yards in maybe a little more depending on what the cover is like. Good Luck!
Old 10-14-2003, 05:59 PM

Corn everywhere! 2 of the stands Ive been hunting are 20' at the intersection of 2 different hedgerows seperating cornfields. Have seen several deer from both stands this year. You have to get in QUIETLY and early! Ive hunted afternoons and have had lots of movement as early as 3:30(legal 7:30-7:40). Every deer ive seen has been bedded in the corn.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:39 PM
Spike

As swampting said, Alot of times...actually most of the time, the deer will bed in the corn. They have no reason to leave unless they are pushed. Depending on what type of hunting you' re talking about, and I think your question was geared more toward the corn field itself, I' d say put on a still hunt or a drive (if your in to drives..some people arent). The deer will bed in between the rows of corn. If you play the wind right, you can literally go from row to row peeking your head out and looking both ways for deer. I read a few articles on this type of hunting and then saw a hunting video where a guy did this. At first, i was skeptical, but i tried it and it works. Remeber, wind is key while doing this. It wouldnt hurt to have a few guys to watch some key escape routes while stalking the field, just incase you jump something up. if you want to drive the corn, just make sure you have enough standers to fill all the escape routes.

One funny story this post reminds me of.....A few years ago, i was hunting this farm which inlcuded a couple acre standing corn field. I hunted in the morning in the woods but had to walk past the corn field when i left. When i left, the wind was blowing from my back into the direction of the cornfield, so i thought....maybe if i just sit on the corner of the cornfield, my scent will make it through the corn and if anything is in there, it might get the hell outta there. Well, i knew where the deer would escape from if it did work, so i set up and waited....about 10 minutes past and as i was sitting on the edge of the corn, 4 does and a small 8 point came bolting out of the corn exactly where i figured. I was kinda amazed that it worked, but never doubted corn fields after that.....