Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what is he doing?

Old 10-13-2003, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what is he doing?

I found some scrapes about a week ago. So I thought I would throw some leaves on the scrape to see if he is still visting the scrape. I also sparyed some buck pee on the scrape. I visted that same scrape today. There was nothing done to it. I did find more scrapes and some rubs. I sat up in a stand this morning. Didnt see anything. How do I know when he is going to come past my stand?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:24 PM

Default RE: what is he doing?

Everybody is diffrent here,but I wouldnt of put leaves or whatever on the scrapes, and then I know I wouldnt put that deer piss on there for sure.

I would of eyeballed the scrape, maybe make a slight mark on the top and lower of the scrape to see if he scrapes past your marks.

Troy
Old 10-13-2003, 11:41 PM

I know this may be different that what some on the site may think but, I have found over time that it is better not to mess with the scrape. I have also seen that while some of the smaller bucks may make scrapes sometimes the largest more dominate buck in the area may not. I like to stick with mother nature and go natural. Just keep an eye on the scrape without getting too close. You will be able to tell if he or another buck is cleaning the scrape or not. If not, don' t sweat it. You can be assured that they are still in the area and will travel close to the scrape. Good luck!! -- CDH
Old 10-14-2003, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

was out hunting this morning he is still around found fresh scrapes.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:57 AM

Good deal, now do your thing. Good luck!! -- CDH
Old 10-14-2003, 08:32 AM

I would agree leave it alone dont monkey with it, PS if you are not seeing him in the morning or evening try him in the middle of the day, " Have you got him patterened or does he have you patterened" Switch it up
Old 10-14-2003, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have hunted twice in the morning now. Once in the afternoon about 2:00 didnt see anything. Maybe I should try and hunt all day from this stand and see what happens.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:57 AM

Hey frustrating isnt it, thats why they call it hunting. Here is the bad thing if this is a very large buck and you have messed with his scrapes and he has smelt you he will go nocternal so fast it will scare you, or he has you pegged and knows when you go in and out of woods. Give it a rest let it rain and scent go away then swap it up. He is not big and smart because he is DUMB trust me, mix it up on him, what kind of land are these scrapes in thick,open what let me know. GOOD HUNTN
Old 10-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

How do I know when he is going to come past my stand?
Proably in the dark, most scraping activity is done at night. Many scrapes are never revisted.

Are you hunting right on top of a scrape?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:07 AM

Many scrapes are done by more than 1 buck. We have pictures of 7 different bucks working 1 scrape.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.