Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any luck on cut corn fields in the morning? >

Any luck on cut corn fields in the morning?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any luck on cut corn fields in the morning?

Old 11-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any luck on cut corn fields in the morning?

I've been hard at my stand sitting on the inside edge of a cut corn field at the base of a finger that seperates that corn field with one right behind me. The corn was cut Tuesday, and I've been in the stand Wednesday through this evening (evening only hunts) because the SSE winds we've been having are perfect. I saw the biggest buck of my archery career the first evening I hunted it, but couldn't get him to turn at 20yds, and I've seen at least 9 deer each night I sat there, and usually more than one buck (4 the first, 2 the second, and at least one probably two tonigh). The problem is, they're feeding in too late, and I can't get in at them due to the habitat, as well as my late work schedule. Anyways, tomorrow is the last day of our PA early season, and it's all or nothing. Forecast has rain and winds picking up as the day goes on. Question for those of you with the experience, how much success or action have you seen around a cut cornfield during morning sits?

Here's a map for a visual:

The yellow dot between the two corn fields at the base of the finger is the stand I'm contemplating in the morning. All of the deer in the evening are coming into the corn field to the west of that dot. The ONLY other stand I have a choice to hunt tomorrow, is my traditional morning stand which is the yellow dot directly south of the food plot. That stand was producing TONS of doe in the early season, but the last two sits produced natta. The food plot is mostly clover with some rye and winter wheat popping up. I'm not sure, though. Thoughts?

Old 11-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any luck on cut corn fields in the morning?

I just shot one over a picked corn field last weekend. The best advise is to get there early. i was at my stand and hour before sun up and there was a deer under my stand. they are usualy out in the corn around shooting time around here. they also tend to come out of the same place in the morning and evening around here as well, so i think if you are seeing deer come out around that stand between the two fields that is the one i would be hunting. Good Luck
Old 11-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

Right now wherever you find the does feeding in the a.m., the bucks will be there scent checking as well.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no idea if they're feeding there in the morning, lol. I've only hunted this spot in the morning during rifle season, and there were times when deer were coming out to feed in the picked corn in the morning.