Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Being Scent Free?

Old 09-30-2003, 11:30 AM

Default Being Scent Free?

i was just curious how you other hunts stay scent free, what products or methods do you have that help reduce human scent?
i' ve done this year is about a month ago i put all hunting clothes outside and hung in a tree rain or shine they were there, i' ve also picked up a bottle of this scent blocker Carbon Blast Human Scent Eliminator, i use that and scentless body/hair soap, when im done from hunting/scouting i take my hunting clothes and put them back outside, it seems to work. just wondering your opinions or advice?
Old 09-30-2003, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Being Scent Free?

Be totally scent free is impossible, but we can impact the amount of scent we displace. Be that by commericial or homebrew products it is far superior than nothing. I wash my clothes and self in unscent products, air dry outside and store them in sealed containers with area field materials. I change when out of my truck and use a scent eliminator spray while hunting. I also eat foods that produce the least smell and only consuming water before/during a hunt. baking soda is a hunters best friend for absorbing odours post a hunt and often I will stick my gear in a bag or another sealed container with a 1/2 a box of BS, then set them outside and into my field material container for the next trip.

Whatever scent method you choose, nothing is more important than the wind!!! Keeping the wind on your nose or at least your cheek will be the best scent control you' ll ever use. Contrary to the popular catch phrase.... I use my own " Never forget the wind when you hunt" it is your best friend! Pre season scouting will allow you to revamp your scheduled plans based on the wind direction and thus why I feel scouting is so essential to your success in the field.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:01 PM

I agree 100 percent with everything skeeter 7MM said. I would also add that the most overlooked item scentwise for hunters is the oil on their guns and equipment because most don' t know that there are alternatives. Eliminating as much scent as possible from your clothing is fine, but then carrying a firearm that smells like petroleum products sets you back several steps or cancels your efforts. Check out http://www.no-scent.com for scent free gun oil. Hope this helps.

Good Luck this season!
Mark
http://www.buckhuntersecrets.com
Old 09-30-2003, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of good advice, and don' t forget your climber. There' s alot of material on them things that will hold odor. The last couple of years I have been using some of that stuff you spray on to eliminate scent and also the scent free clothes wash. It seems to be working. I havn' t been winded. I spray everything down including the stand before I climb the tree. I also use the no stinking bugs for inscect repellent and cover scent. The earth smell seems to work well.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:53 PM

Like everyone said, wind is most important. My clothes are washed several times each season and hung out to air out. Then they are packed/stored in large rubbermaid containers. I also do not overlook the boots, they are a big culprit not only in scent drifting through the forest but also in the scent trail I leave. I never wear my boots anyplace but hunting. If I stop for coffee, I walk in barefoot so as not to step in gas/oil/or antifreeze in the lot. I also step in all the deer poop I see on my way in, I figure that is natural enough. If there are apples in the area, I stomp on one I bring from home to get that scent on my boots. Baking soda and baking soda mixes help also. I don' t buy all the charchol or scent lock clothing although my buddies swear by it. I just never seem to have a problem getting close with my crude methods.

Greg
Old 10-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Baking Soda is very good at getting rid of odors. There was a post about it a really long time ago.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Climb a tree and hunt the wind.