Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I go scent free? >

Should I go scent free?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I go scent free?

Old 11-04-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Should I go scent free?

When I go bowhunting should I go scent free or should I smell like the surroundings. I hunt in hardwoods. I can wash my camo in a scent free detergent, or I could put my camo in a tub filled with leaves. What should I do?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Should I go scent free?

Scent free is the only way to go IMO.

If you really want a subtle cover scent buy the Clothes wash with the fresh earth cover scent in it, or the fresh earth dryer sheets.

But I would suggest scent free
Old 11-04-2004, 03:02 PM

I agree with Buckeye. A deers nose is so sensative we humans can't even begin to comprehend it's ability. Cover scent will make you smell like human and apples or acorns or fox piss but most importantly you'll still have the human scent. Get yourself good and clean, wash you clothes often and store them in a air tight bag and don't put them on until you get to the woods. Also a good scent eliminating spray will help your cause.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:33 PM

Yep. Smelling like nothing is the only way to fly, with an exception. As I enter the area I hunt I will go out of my way to step in a pile of cow crap or whatever droppings I can find. Since cows and such are common place on the property the deer know the smell and just dont seem to be threatened by dung piles! So I figure having some foot cover scent isn't a bad idea.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

I think both ideas are good. I have had good luck with deer noses by bathing before each hunt and wearing camo that stays in a plastic tote that has a scoop of dirt , some sticks , and some leaves from the backyard. This natural combination doesn't seem to be as strong as store bought cover scents, which means the deer won't come looking for that curious scent. I would rather the deer never know I was there. I haven't bought cover scent for years. Rubber boots are also a good idea.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

Scent free baby. Search for homemade scent killer on this site. That stuff works "the nuts".
Old 11-05-2004, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

yep, scent free
Old 11-05-2004, 09:33 AM

This is just my opinion:

I go scent free. I wash my cloths in a little scent free detergent and then leave them outside on my back porch which is about 300 yds from my hunting grounds. I combine this with full camo including a face cover, unscented deoderant (sure solid), and cheap rubber boots. I dont generally use scent killers but I still have had many deer come within 10 ft. Works for me.

I have also heard fox urine is the only cover scent that can hide human scent. This is standard practice for trappers. It is potent stuff and may very well block out other scents. Personally, I dont think I could stand to smell that all day. Puke[:'(]
Old 11-05-2004, 10:09 AM

I've used fox urine, but only on the bottom of my boots on the way to the stand. That stuff is VERY strong, and I can't imagine spraying it all over myself...

I think scent free is the way to go.