Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Not exactly scent free...but what about this? >

Not exactly scent free...but what about this?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not exactly scent free...but what about this?

Old 10-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Not exactly scent free...but what about this?

All the hype, all the marketing schemes pushing "scent free-ness."

Instead of spending an arm and a leg on scent free shampoo, could someone not go buy apple scented Suave for $1.49 and have apple scented hair that wouldn't spook deer?

Has anyone else tried the natural scents of shampoo from the major makers? Apples...strawberry...scented shampoos of those types.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Not exactly scent free...but what about this?

What about vanilla scented conditioner ? Coconut perhaps ? Hmmm ... I don't know that I'd want to go out smelling like a pina colada .
Old 10-19-2005, 08:28 AM

All I can say is I wash my hair with strawberry shampoo, wash my hunting cloths with tide, wear scented deorderant, and I hunt the wind and still manage not to get busted and drag deer out of the woods. hmmmmmm........
Old 10-19-2005, 09:13 AM

I used to use scent free soap, regular unscented or no detergent or fabric softener, regular scent free deoderant, hunt the wind, and would get bustedon a routine basis. I won't tell you how I fixed that problem, that debate is all over the forum already.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it all boils down to .... Does the animal that's smelling the scent molecules we introduce to the area....do theyassociate these odors with danger...?????? no matter if you're covered in cowchit or apple scented shampoo... Each and every deer/any big game animal for that matter...is different and associates different stimuli with danger...based on thier experiences with dangerous situations ie...predators or hunters..

I also believe we allleave some human odor; obviously some much more than others especially in relation to how we prepair ourselves before a hunt..I believe minimizingobtrusive scent moleculeshelps lesson the chance of a critter blowing out of an area versus possibly checking things out and then continuing on their normal/natural route of travel..

Old 10-19-2005, 01:09 PM

Very well put, Shed33.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

I asked myself that same question about scent and scent blocks,because how did the old timers like Fred bear get so close to deer and hunt deer for so many years if there was no such products back in those days and they all managed to harvest deer.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:49 PM

Suave Aloe Vera fopr me
Old 10-19-2005, 02:49 PM

I think shed33 is on the right track. Using apple scented anything where I hunt would probably be about as effective as High Karate cologne. There are no apple orchards in Mills County, Texas, so I'm pretty sure they would just associate itwith anyanother unwelcomed, man-related scent and haul a$$. Anybody know of any CORN scent soap or shampoo?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Lunker hunter

I asked myself that same question about scent and scent blocks,because how did the old timers like Fred bear get so close to deer and hunt deer for so many years if there was no such products back in those days and they all managed to harvest deer.
Fred Bear lived in the woods and therefore, he smelt like woods. He probably has pine needle farts and white oak belches. My hero.

Quick Reply: Not exactly scent free...but what about this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.