Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

doe bleat in a can

Old 09-30-2003, 04:04 AM

Default doe bleat in a can

Was out hunting last night and had a large buck approach from the rear. He was just going to pass by out of range and I used the doe in heat bleat can. It sounds silly to me since I just like to sit quietly. I do use a grunt call regularly though. This buck circled about sixty yards below me, looked in my direction for several minutes and then he circled back to fifty or sixty yards above me and stood there chewing and looking for quite some time. By the time he got to me I couldn' t see my sight pins and let him pass at twenty or so yards. He hung around for several minutes then made his way to a field where the does usually ahng out in the evening. Almost like he was looking for something. From when I first saw him until he passed in range was forty five minutes, or so.

Do these cans really work? and do they work this far ahead of the actual rut?

Greg
Old 09-30-2003, 05:40 AM

Default RE: doe bleat in a can

never had any luck with it. had several does just look up and keep going.have heard other hunters say they work for them.sounds like it worked for you,just to dark when he came in.
if it works keep going.good luck.[:-]
Old 09-30-2003, 09:06 AM

i was wondering what one to get-small or large can. any reason why i need a certain one, thanks, who_else
Old 09-30-2003, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

The baaaahh they produce is just a normal doe bleat. No real proof that the does actually have a doe in heat or estrus bleat that differs from a regular doe bleat...sorry to burst your bubble! Deer being curious by nature will often come and investigate noises, especially when no visual contact is made...thus the effectiveness of grunting or doe bleats when you have a visual on a deer, even when rut is nowhere near.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:10 AM

Bubble is OK! I don' t put too much faith in gimmicks. I have had too much success doing things the traditional way. All these cans and things are kinda like fishing lures, they attract more fisherman than they do fish sometimes. Anyway, it did seem to work for me so I' ll keep it in the fanny pack. I hope this big guy stays around for another chance. Skeeter, you are right about deer being curious. The grunting I' d have to say is more than curoisity though.

Greg
Old 09-30-2003, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Greg, yes grunting and bleats are their way of communication (natural sounds). However when they can' t see a deer making that noise they then become curious. During or closer to the rut these calls can bring them in to find the intruder or doe just in case she is ready to breed. Although sometimes they pay little attention and carry on. While I believe in calling and use different facits of calling, I also know it isn' t fool proof or 100% gauranteed success method. I truly believe they are curious of where that deer is and what is he or she doing, because most hunters hear very few grunts or bleats while hunting. They are largerly pretty unvocalized animals, they will grunt while tending (which is breeding), they sometimes will grunt while fight or during confrontations to show dominance, I have heard on occasion bucks grunt while walking but that was during the rut(and my theroy was they were scenting another animal) and I have heard does talk to their fawns and likewise. To this day I have never heard a doe bleat when solo, I am sure they do just haven' t witnessed it. I also have never heard a buck grunt when solo or bached up prior to rut. I really believe calling works on the curiosity bone of deer. Hey I may be wrong but I do believe in doing it, just not blindly blowing a call and expecting a deer to respond. With a visual it is a great tool to stop or possible bring that animal a few more yards for a shot. During the rut all bets are off, they are searching and blind calling along rattling can produce results.

Good luck Greg, hope you get a crack at him.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:29 PM

I used one last year, and it may have worked when i did get my deer but io know it worked on another occasion. The time it worked a buck was crossing a field 300 yards or so away. I hit the can once and it immediatly changed direction towards me at full tilt. He stopped near my stand looking around real quick and continued along the same line. Now whether its a doe in heat bleat or just a doe bleat i dont care. for bucks on the prowl its seems to work.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:32 PM

I used one last year, and it may have worked when i did get my deer but io know it worked on another occasion. The time it worked a buck was crossing a field 300 yards or so away. I hit the can once and it immediatly changed direction towards me at full tilt. He stopped near my stand looking around real quick and continued along the same line. Now whether its a doe in heat bleat or just a doe bleat i dont care. for bucks on the prowl its seems to work.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:40 PM

I called in a spike with the can last year, it wasn' t a yearling but it was a spike.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:54 PM

Last year was the first time that I used the Can. The morning was very still, and cold (about 20 degrees) on December 2. There wasn' t a leaf rustling on the whole mountain, so there' s no question that the sound was traveling pretty well that morning. I bleated with the call approximately two or three times every 15 minutes or so. Just about 10 minutes had passed since I called last, and I spotted a nice 8 point stalking toward my stand, which ended up being my nicest deer so far.
Did the can work? Who knows, but I plan to use it again next year.

Quick Reply: doe bleat in a can

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.