Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cover scent or scent free? >

Cover scent or scent free?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cover scent or scent free?

Old 02-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cover scent or scent free?

I was wondering what everyone uses. Some type of cover scent, if so then what is it? Or do you go scent free? I've used fresh earth scent wafers the past few years and I think they work well but I'm thinking about not using any cover scent and trying to be complpetely scent free.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:40 PM

Default RE: Cover scent or scent free?

I use dirt scent spray.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:44 PM

scent free and always play the wind!!!
Old 02-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you think dirt would spook a deer if you were hunting in pines?
Old 02-01-2004, 06:10 PM

Not for me. I have some freshly turned dirt on my property.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:33 PM

Heres is my personal scent control process:

Wash all my clothes in SportWash(cheap and works well). Bag my clothes in scent free bag, shower with H.S. bodywash/shampoo, then use stealth dust in my boots and socks, after getting my stuff ready at the dirt road I park at near my stand I spray H.S. Scent-a-way spray on my boots and rub the bottom of them in the soil to try and eliminate most of the scent, this is the best way until I can afford the nice charcoal lined jackets pants and other things, but that is what I do for now. Good hunting all!
Old 02-01-2004, 08:37 PM

You will never be "scent free". Never. Wear some appropriate cover scent and pay attention to the wind. Just my opinion.

Edited to say that I have had good success with natural earth scent. How can you go wrong with dirt. It's everywhere.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Edited to say that I have had good success with natural earth scent. How can you go wrong with dirt. It's everywhere.
I use dirt cover scent too, and I use baking soda as well[:-]
Old 02-01-2004, 09:07 PM

My 2 cents:

I know several people who have had good luck with "fresh earth" spray. If it works, great, but I'm a little skeptical about ANY so-called cover scent.
First, just because it smells like dirt to me(or pine,coon urine,etc) doesn't mean it smells that way to deer. I'm afraid the deer might smell it and recognize it as foreign and become spooked or become overly cautious. Second, if a deer can smell your cover scent, it can smell you. I really don't believe that cover scent really "covers" anyhow. At least for the most part. I do believe some "odor-eliminators" do help, but human scent is present and produced by every square inch of your body. I think in most cases the deer will smell "earth and human" mixed together.
Another something often overlooked by hunters is breath. I get my teeth cleaned every year before deer season and take full measures to have a clean mouth before entering the woods. Your mouth is one of the biggest human scent factories in existence. Brush, floss, listerine, and I often chew some dentyne ice on the way to my hunting area(I spit it out before I actually go in the woods, but I'm convinced it helps get breath under control a little better than just brushing and rinsing.)

So to answer your question, I think there's some things that can help, but nothing beats being as clean as you possibly can, being up high in a tree, and playing the wind. I decided years ago not to use any cover scents, lures, etc, and I can honestly say I've spooked less deer than I did when I used that other stuff. My vote is for "scent free", although I think it would be best described as "as scent free as possible and playing the wind".
GOOD LUCK!!
Old 02-01-2004, 09:55 PM

I use the dirt scent too!

Quick Reply: Cover scent or scent free?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.