Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scent lok? best way to keep scent free and working >

scent lok? best way to keep scent free and working

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent lok? best way to keep scent free and working

Old 10-16-2004, 07:25 AM
TDH

Default scent lok? best way to keep scent free and working

I have been hunting with scent lok for several years and when I wash them I hang them out side to dry. I have read some where that I have to place them in the dryer to activate the charcoal. If so then want it absorb the human scent in the house? I also store them in a plastic tub with earth scent waffers. Will the suit absorb the earth scent and become saturated with scent? I dont like the dryer scent sheets because if you ever smelt the dryer sheet after use it has a perfume smell. Any suggestions?
Old 10-16-2004, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scent lok? best way to keep scent free and working

It's scientically impossible to get all of the scent out of the charcoal.. Make some HOMEMADE Scent Killer and use it alot..

Thats your best bet..

Scent lok and scent blocker are gimmicks....lol , actually i dont know..

I just use scent killer(homemade), take a shower and wash my clothes in baking soda and keep them outside..

WORKS FOR ME
Old 10-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

According to the Scentlock people you need to reactivate the suit by placing it in a dryer for about 45 minutes. The heat causes the trapped scents to release from the charcoal. Some people say it takes several hundred degrees of heat to deactivate charcoal. Your right about the scent wafers filling up the suit. Yours is probably useless as far as the charcoal doing anything...........dabow
Old 10-16-2004, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

The garments soak up all scents, human or otherwise, so seems to me that from the dryer they need to go straight into a sealed, scent free container. I'm still not convinced that the ordinary house dryer gets hot enough to release the scent from the charcoal in the first place!
Old 10-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

From what I understand the household dryer won't release 100% of the stored odor only a percentage of that. But it's enough to supposedly make the product effective again.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TDH

I also store them in a plastic tub with earth scent waffers. Will the suit absorb the earth scent and become saturated with scent?

Yes, the suit will absorb the earth scent making your suit useless as a scent absorbing unit. Charcoal doesn't distinguish scents, it will absorb all good and bad rendering it saturated and useless.

If I understand this whole charcoal lined suit business, a house hold dryer is more than equiped to reactivate said suits, perhaps not to 100% capacity but enough to make the suit effective in human oder absorbtion. I hope.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to add that for storage I bought one of the Scent Lok storage bags. I think they are $20-30. I keep my clothing inside that and then place the whole bag in a rubbermaid container.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Yea, i do that to Jeremy, seems to work out for me!
Old 10-16-2004, 03:07 PM

While watching the tube today I saw an add for those plastic storage bags that have the one-way valve. You've seen them I'm sure. Some are designed to hook the shopvac to and suck out the air and the other is designed to where you roll the bag up like a sleeping bag and burp the air out. The latter seems like the better one for hunting because I usually don't remember to pack my shopvac every time.

Kinda seems like the perfect solution to storing the fancy hunting duds, doesn't it? The say you can get them at walmart so I'll have to go get one and try it out.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Make some HOMEMADE Scent Killer and use it alot..
I use this stuff religiously and had a fox come from downwind of me this morning. Am I correct in my understanding that foxes are much more scent sensitive than deer?

Quick Reply: scent lok? best way to keep scent free and working

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.