Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear Dog Hunters

Old 11-28-2012, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MichiMan
The Michigan DNR encourages hunters to shoot dogs that are chasing deer, as the use of dogs is illegal, and such dogs are presumed to be feral or habitual killers. As a dog lover, I'm not sure I would do it. Hope I never have to.
Actually you'll have to go to jail for a while. We had a landowner shoot one of the hounds we were running. You wouldn't believe how fast he grabbed his wallet when the Sheriifs deputy explained what was about to fall....

You shouldn't misrepresent our state. We have enough troubles as it is.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
If you start bowhunting you may find that you really like it. I started years ago because I got tired of all my buddies getting an extra month in the woods. I now find bowhunting to be my favorite time of year....even though hunting during the rut is much more exciting.

Now to address a couple of your concerns about bowhunting.

Buzzing insects can be controlled with Permithrin, DEET, or a Thermacell.

Green leaves have to be dealt with in my part of the state during blackpowder season as well, so I just look at it as more available natural camo!

Hot temperatures are something you just have to learn to deal with.

There is also something else you could consider. You could find property to hunt in counties that are east of the Blue Ridge but yet they are still west of the dog running line.

Now I need to get my son on the school bus and hit the woods!
Yeah, I dunno. I also really like the knockdown power of a muzzleloader or HPR. With the exception of my first year hunting where I stupidly used buckshot during a hunt, I have never lost a deer. I read too many stories of deer being lost by arrow shots that were not completely perfect.

And the warm weather...yuck. That's why we have fishing. I just can't associate deer hunting with high 70's temps. And I bet the deer have a ton of ticks that time of year!

As far as hunting counties west of the dog running line, that is a good idea. At least for a couple hunts a year. If I don't get a deer at last light, I like being able to get home to my family before the kids go to bed. If I hunt too far away, I'll miss that. So I might start looking for public land to hunt in those areas.

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 11-28-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

When a hound is in pursuit, he doesnt know property barriers. That is why it is leagle to go on private land to retreive your hound. As far as being able to control your dog, you obviously have never hunted with hounds. There is not a person alive that can keep up with a hound when it is in persuit of a bear or any other quarry. Like I stated before, if someone was to shoot one of my dogs I would shoot the individual that done it. I am a old man and am not affraid of spending the rest of my life in jail, at least I would feel at peace for knowing the perp who shot my dog was also taking a dirt nap. I have some bear dogs that are worth over $10,000 and all wear a Garmin GPS system, if anyone shoots them on there property I will know, I will know the minute the dog quits moving and know his exact where abouts, within 1 foot. The perp would be easily caught, especially if it is on private land. If the collar gets turned off the hand held unit will still show his last position, so go right ahead! A hound hunter buys a license just like you and also a hound permit and has just as much a right in the woods as anyone else!!! Not to mention a pack of 5-6 dogs that cost anywhere from $2500-$10,000, so if you shoot one expect serious repercusions, and I am not talking about from the law either.

Last edited by Jim Burns; 11-28-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went right over your head, didn't it?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Jim Burns- You should quit while your ahead, its not worth the arguement on here with these guys. I am a still hunter and dog hunter, been doing it for 20yrs now, since i was 8. Its a way of life around here in SE VA. And there are tons and tons of clubs here and hopefully it will never go away. I know exactly what your saying about owning dogs and food and the tracking equipment. Most dont realize that the gps units now will tell you as soon as a dogs stops and sits it will tell you, they have no idea what that gps can do! And here in VA if you get caught harming a "hunting" dog, well goodluck to you. Our club has club dogs and private owned dogs, just like mostly all clubs now. All these people bashing using dogs probably have never been hunting with them and havent had the chance to see the thrill in it. I bet everyone of these guys would miss most the deer being chased by a pack of hounds at the speed that deer is going, especially across a field! Most of you are saying yeah right i can kill a deer running or have shot a deer running, well put a pack of fast hounds behind him and speed him up a few mph! Around here you have to use shotguns with buckshot, no rifles or muzzleloaders. slug guns are allowed after the controlled hunts. If someone is a still hunter and trys it and doesnt like it, then thats fine, but if you goto a club that is enjoyable and you run alot of deer and kill many, you would have fun. Yes most are right that dogs shouldnt go on others land, but when in a chase they are following the deer so they are doing what they are taught to do, maybe you should be mad at the deer for not staying in the hunt. Also, in VA and maybe other states, as a dog owner you can go on someones land to get your dog, like it or not..
Im not taking anyones side cause we all have opinion's, they are like a-holes, mostly all are going to stink! But as i see it, if you dont like it then dont bash others for using it if its legal.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jim Burns
When a hound is in pursuit, he doesnt know property barriers. That is why it is leagle to go on private land to retreive your hound. As far as being able to control your dog, you obviously have never hunted with hounds. There is not a person alive that can keep up with a hound when it is in persuit of a bear or any other quarry. Like I stated before, if someone was to shoot one of my dogs I would shoot the individual that done it. I am a old man and am not affraid of spending the rest of my life in jail, at least I would feel at peace for knowing the perp who shot my dog was also taking a dirt nap. I have some bear dogs that are worth over $10,000 and all wear a Garmin GPS system, if anyone shoots them on there property I will know, I will know the minute the dog quits moving and know his exact where abouts, within 1 foot. The perp would be easily caught, especially if it is on private land. If the collar gets turned off the hand held unit will still show his last position, so go right ahead! A hound hunter buys a license just like you and also a hound permit and has just as much a right in the woods as anyone else!!! Not to mention a pack of 5-6 dogs that cost anywhere from $2500-$10,000, so if you shoot one expect serious repercusions, and I am not talking about from the law either.
I hate to get involved here, but I guess I will put in my 2 cents. It is people like you that make people want to shoot dogs. It appears from this thread, that dog hunters feel they have a God given right to hunt their dogs anywhere they want. You think your expensive dogs trumps someone else's much more expensive land or lease? You
don't care that their hunt is ruined as long as yours is not? How do you justify that to yourself?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

I guess fox, coon, coyote, bobcat & rabbit hunters shouldnt use dogs either?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jim Burns
Good grief. Just please be responsible and hunt where your dogs won't run on other peoples property. Someone will eventually shoot your dogs if it continuously happens. Guess who's fault it will be? Not saying it's right, but it happens. If you cross over to another property to retrieve your dogs, you are trespassing, plain and simple. NATO, I think it did go over his head.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
I hate to get involved here, but I guess I will put in my 2 cents. It is people like you that make people want to shoot dogs. It appears from this thread, that dog hunters feel they have a God given right to hunt their dogs anywhere they want. You think your expensive dogs trumps someone else's much more expensive land or lease? You
don't care that their hunt is ruined as long as yours is not? How do you justify that to yourself?
Where i hunt most the land is private land and almost 80% is farm land, so we take all precautions to take care of our land and others. Our dogs owners defenitly dont think like you have expressed, not sure how others are about their dogs. Most clubs see dogs they pick them up and meet the owner for the exchange. Its different all over, just like people you meet. Not all going to be the same. Not sure how his reply may come, but being apart of dog hunting this is how we are. We arent a bunch of young guys running around tearing peoples stuff up.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think most hunters will say if you want to hunt with dogs, that's your choice. The problem lies when the dogs start running through private property. Just be a responsible and considerate hunter and run dogs on property large enough to where there won't be a problem with private landowners. Nothing pisses me off more than having a pack of hounds come through my property while I'm hunting on a beautiful still morning. I'm not going to shoot them, but it better not continue to happen. There are better ways to settle the problem than to kill a mans hunting dogs. Again, be responsible and respectful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.