Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear Dog Hunters

Old 11-27-2012, 03:55 AM
Fork Horn

Should be illegal. Its just a lazy ass way to hunt. Im just gonna start treating them like coyotes. I mean I can shot Yotes which are dogs why cant I shot deer dogs as well? Nothing should be allowed to come on my land and ruin my deer hunting. If I spook a deer then Im fine with that cause its my fault. But when some neck's dumb ass deer dog runs deer away then thats something that can be helped. Im just gonna go Mic Vick on all of them. I dont spend a few thousand dollars a year for someone else to ruin my hunting.

Originally Posted by Hard_Core
Clubs around me run Deer Dogs.... In SC if you shoot one of them you will go to jail and lose your hunting rights in this state....
I got a whole bunch of swamp land where the coyotes run at night. How you gonna go to jail with no evidence left after a few nights. And whos going to find it anyways? If someone does then they are trespassing and they go to jail.

Last edited by thomasmgp; 11-27-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes dogs move deer all right, right off my property to my neighbors. That happened opening morning to me! After the dog chase, the deer went nocturnal or they were gone. I was so ticked i knocked on the responsible parties door, they lied about there dog, and got irritated with me?!?! So i said i'm a dog lover and was concerned for the dog, as my friend was putting steel coyote traps up all over my property, after season(a lie) lol, there expression was priceless. The wife piped up and asked which gully are the traps going in, it was then I realized they trespass on top of it. I asked how they know about my gullies she didnt answer, and walked off all pissed. 1st time EVER that I didn't get a buck opening weekend, it was directly because of the dog. It's illegal to use dogs on deer in my state, illegal to shoot dogs running deer also, i've heard the dnr can shoot them though, not sure.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perfect example of how deer dog hunters think is when my neighbors released their dogs close to the border of our leases last week and they came onto my lease trying to chase a deer back to the neighbors lease. The deer never turned (I saw them seventy yards in front of my ground blind). The dogs finally went back to the neighbors leases after they had screwed up an afternoon hunt for me.

I haven't had a problem with this in a few years, other than this one incident, and hope that it is just an isolated incident. It used to be a regular occurence on my leases.

It is banned here in Texas and in some parts of Arkansas, where I hunt, but is still legal where I hunt.

Last edited by GRIZZLYMAN; 11-27-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love bowhunting for numerous reasons. I love the late bowseason especially because I don't have to deal with dogs, or armies of gun hunters.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

rediculous to throw someone in jail who shoot a dog that is on their private property ruining their hunting... Should be encuraged in my opinion. Only happened to me twice, once a rotwhiler chased a doe within about twenty feet during muzzel loader and he didn't fare to well. The other time was a guy rabbit hunting with a weiner dog... I couldn't have shot if I wanted too because I was laughing too hard... weiner dogs are funny :-)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

i live down in southwestern va, using dogs for deer isnt a tradition so its not a problem. What irks me is, the doghunters are in the north where the population is, so the state legislators do what they say, which is why we cant get sunday hunting passed. I understand tradition, im all for it and im all for them to have the right to hunt with dogs, but it wouldnt hurt to at least let us have a sunday bowhunting like they do in NC. Besides the economic benefits to sunday hunting, you also are giving people who only have one day off (saturday) another day to hunt.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
i live down in southwestern va, using dogs for deer isnt a tradition so its not a problem. What irks me is, the doghunters are in the north where the population is, so the state legislators do what they say, which is why we cant get sunday hunting passed. I understand tradition, im all for it and im all for them to have the right to hunt with dogs, but it wouldnt hurt to at least let us have a sunday bowhunting like they do in NC. Besides the economic benefits to sunday hunting, you also are giving people who only have one day off (saturday) another day to hunt.

Hunting with dogs is also in the southeastern part of the state. I agree with you that the dog hunters are part of the problem with no Sunday hunting. They throw a lot of money around.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Since I grew up as a dog hunter I have no problem with hounds running deer on or around my property. It makes deer move and you would see deer you may have never gotten a chance at. If you have ever hunted with dogs you would learn that the deer adapt especially the bucks. The first buck I ever killed was being ran by a dog. The buck split from the doe and I was in the right spot to watch it happen. The funny part is the dog continued running the doe. So the bucks know how to slip away and get away from the dogs without running 5 miles away. As for being a lazy way of hunting...well I'd like to see ya hunt with dogs one time and see if you feel the same. With that being said I still sit in a treestand majority of the time just to relax and enjoy being in the woods without nature knowing I'm there!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by gjersy
Yes dogs move deer all right, right off my property to my neighbors. That happened opening morning to me! After the dog chase, the deer went nocturnal or they were gone. I was so ticked i knocked on the responsible parties door, they lied about there dog, and got irritated with me?!?! So i said i'm a dog lover and was concerned for the dog, as my friend was putting steel coyote traps up all over my property, after season(a lie) lol, there expression was priceless. The wife piped up and asked which gully are the traps going in, it was then I realized they trespass on top of it. I asked how they know about my gullies she didnt answer, and walked off all pissed. 1st time EVER that I didn't get a buck opening weekend, it was directly because of the dog. It's illegal to use dogs on deer in my state, illegal to shoot dogs running.

Bro, I like your style.That one is going into the hard drive. That's a great idea. Be safe.

VA
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Woodsman88
Since I grew up as a dog hunter I have no problem with hounds running deer on or around my property.
So, you are saying you are OK to let your dogs run on someone else's property? I hope your neighbors are OK with this. I think that is the problem that most of us see that dog hunters don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.