HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dear Dog Hunters
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 05:39 AM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
If you start bowhunting you may find that you really like it. I started years ago because I got tired of all my buddies getting an extra month in the woods. I now find bowhunting to be my favorite time of year....even though hunting during the rut is much more exciting.

Now to address a couple of your concerns about bowhunting.

Buzzing insects can be controlled with Permithrin, DEET, or a Thermacell.

Green leaves have to be dealt with in my part of the state during blackpowder season as well, so I just look at it as more available natural camo!

Hot temperatures are something you just have to learn to deal with.

There is also something else you could consider. You could find property to hunt in counties that are east of the Blue Ridge but yet they are still west of the dog running line.

Now I need to get my son on the school bus and hit the woods!
Yeah, I dunno. I also really like the knockdown power of a muzzleloader or HPR. With the exception of my first year hunting where I stupidly used buckshot during a hunt, I have never lost a deer. I read too many stories of deer being lost by arrow shots that were not completely perfect.

And the warm weather...yuck. That's why we have fishing. I just can't associate deer hunting with high 70's temps. And I bet the deer have a ton of ticks that time of year!

As far as hunting counties west of the dog running line, that is a good idea. At least for a couple hunts a year. If I don't get a deer at last light, I like being able to get home to my family before the kids go to bed. If I hunt too far away, I'll miss that. So I might start looking for public land to hunt in those areas.

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 11-28-2012 at 05:43 AM.