Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer cane and other supplements >

Deer cane and other supplements

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer cane and other supplements

Old 08-19-2003, 03:21 PM

Default Deer cane and other supplements

Sept 27 is opening day for bow season. I am unsure of what kind of supplement to use. I tried Deer cane last year. I just bow the powedered stuff and pored it in a pile. Either I used it too soon or too late cause I didn' t see any tracks around it. If this is good stuff to use then how early should I put it out and should I use the whole deer cane program? Are there any other supplements I can use that is very good? Thanks.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:56 PM

Default RE: Deer cane and other supplements

You have to mix Deer Cane with water in a bucket then you pour it on. or let it get rained on ALOT. thats why it didnt work. We' re ina drought this summer, mine all dryed up and evaporated basically. pour water around it to make mud and see tracks.

slayer
Old 08-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

Mineral licks need to be established in early spring and maintained year round to be effective. I' m not knocking the deer cane because I' ve used it before and had good luck with it but for the for the money you sure don' t get much. I' ve got a recipe that will cost you about $60 initially but will only cost around $20 per year after that and the deer love it. You' ll end up with 300 lbs of salt and minerals which is way cheaper per pound than any commercial brand on the market. Hit the link to my website below and click on the mineral sites button. It' s got a list of all the ingredients and the directions to get you going. Good luck!!!!
Old 08-19-2003, 07:58 PM

I tried that cane and never got any results. I did what they said on the package and put it in two places.both had feeder within 20 yards.lots of deer at the feeders and not one deer went to the cane. we had rain so it never drier up.Go figure.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:14 PM

Whitetail Addiction is pretty much the same stuff, but is cheaper and comes in the same form. Like Deerslayer says, unless you mix it, or it gets ALOT of rain just forget it. Its best to get the liquid. When starting a new spot, I get the block form and bury the block, then clear all vegation around, and pour the liquid all around above it. They seem to hit HARD no matter when I put it out. However do to laws and personal preference, I only use it during the summer months.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deerslayer is right, Deer Cane requires water. Pour it it on bare ground in a 2-3ft circle and slowly pour a big bucket of water over it. Or pour it out just before a rain. When it gets wet the first time, it starts foaming a little and creates a heat and the deer can smell it. I have used Deer Cane for about the last 8 yrs and it works great in our area. I have several spots that are now 2 ft deep because the deer have wallered them out, licking and pawing. In the late winter you need to add Rack Up, another product by Evolved Habitats(the makers of Deer Cane), to the same spot that you had DC at. The RU, is full of minerals that the does need while bred and while nursing and the bucks use the minerals for antler development. Our deer go nuts over the stuff. If you use it in 2-3 places where you know deer are and you don' t get any results, then there is enough natural minerals in your soil that the deer don' t need it. Deer only eat salt/minerals when their bodies need it. You can' t force it on them. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2003, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Use Buck Grub it is the best.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:20 AM

I tried and use Buckgrub. That stuff works awesome for me here in Ohio. I mix it in with a little corn and the deer kill it.