Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Whats does a new deer Outfitter say? >

Whats does a new deer Outfitter say?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats does a new deer Outfitter say?

Old 07-03-2003, 01:21 PM
DL2

Default Whats does a new deer Outfitter say?

Ok, we know that established outfitters have references, success rates, trophy pics, etc.

If you were a new outfitter, what would you tell your clients to attract business?

Or

What would you want to hear to attract you, knowing it is a new business?

Let' s be serious cos I always wondered what these people do.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:29 PM

Default RE: Whats does a new deer Outfitter say?

Tell the people what the area' s like - I' ve seen plenty of places that advertise:

' This property has only been hunted privately by a group of four guys for the past 20 years. Now we' ve decided to open it up to you, the hunter.'

Also, you' ve got the new facilities to showcase. The only other thing is the success rate for other places in the area.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:55 PM

If it were me i would want to here that there was a very good chance of me taking a nice buck. I mean if folks are gonna pay for a hunt they want a chance at something nice.

P.S. Make your clients shoot there rifles, i helped a guide one year and the people that came could not shoot at all. We' ll most of em couldn' t. You would be surprised at the people who show up that cant hit a paper plate at 100yds.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would think first of all he must have experience if expects to be well respected and generate business of an unknown area. That may come from years of area knowledge or guiding at other guys camps. If he lives in an area known to be good deer hunting he has a bonus already, but guys also want to know when they arrive and things don' t go as planned that the guide or outfitter knowns his stuff and can form a game plan on the run. Also the expectation of service will be known to somebody who has been in the business and knows the inside ropes. It ain' t all about harvesting deer, work ethic, business practice, staff, food, lodging and first rate fun.

I have a buddy who started a camp in virgin territory about 5 years ago, he lived there for years with area knowledge, he also put in his time at camps all over NA as a guide and grunt. He knew what to look for in a location for a blind, he has a good business head, set expectations that were true and obtainable, presented a service that was up to standards and above, he knew what was expected from his clients in service & experience of his staff. He charged very reasonable the first year to build up some references and adjusted the prices accordingly. He is honest and up front, nobody arrives in his camp with false expectation. This guys has always been first class and did things the right way with good old fashion nose to the grindstone work ethic. He has a great business, booked solid in advance, he has one of the best outfits in the province and is mentioned with some guys who have been the business for a long time in service and quality of deer.

Point is it can be done in an area that is virgin, but I think you need more than just a good pitch, you must have experience and set expectation with in reach. First and foremost you need to be honest and have work ethic that translates through the camp (yes, that means cook to grunt must be on the same page). It is hunting but this is a service industry that guys save, plan and prepare for(like any holiday, last thing you want is to feel short sticked for your hard earned dollars). Not to mention nothing will bust a outfitter like a unhappy client or false expectations set by triing to fill his tags.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Unfortunately some of them say " Go through this picture album and pick out the buck you want. The approximate B&C score is posted below and the price for this particular buck is also posted. Your guide will place you in the appropriate pen, er uh, stand for your hunt"
Old 07-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tell them of your personal hunting experience and about the area that you will be hunting.Then when you get a few good clients under your belt you can use them as references.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:04 AM
DL2

Good posts guys, thanks and please keep them coming. Maybe we need to hear from some of the outfitters on the board.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:07 PM

I think the main thing is be honest, don' t try to compete with others just tell them the truth and in time it will work. If you put in the hard work and sweat it will show. It is not about the kill. If you can guarantee a kill it is not hunting it is killing. For some that may work and that is fine, but for me I enjoy the hunt. It would not hurt if you called in a writer or a group that puts out videos and invite them in for a hunt for the exposure.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:29 AM

Offer free hunting.
I am sure that would work.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:52 PM

If a new outfitter is looking to book solid, he will lie his a$$ off and it will work for a year or two, but if he want' s to grow at a steady pace and get repeat buisness, he will work hard, go the extra mile in all aspects and most importantly make the hunters comfortable while showing them a good time.
Believe it or not, the outfitter that is super honest and tells his potentials like it is, will have a hard time booking hunts. Most hunters want to hear how awesome the hunting is and the deer are abundant. They also want to be told they will see deer every day. Any outfitter in my area that can produce that either has a pile of land that is posted and has agricultural crops or has enclosures with tame deer.
So if you are looking for a sure thing, expect to pay $1500 to $4500 or more.
If you are looking for a real fair chase hunt, expect to pay $400 to $1000 and hope for the best but expect low success rates.
I guide around 12 deer hunters per year, most of them are repeat buisness.
I also usualy take 12 bear hunters per year and they are mostly repeat buisness.
I keep the groups small to ensure full attention on the hunters and rely mostly on showing them a good time. Hunters that have good success are the one' s that listen to what I tell them about what works in my neck of the woods, sit long hours on stand ( while staying awake and alert ) and practice good scent control.
The one' s that go home crying are the people that do not listen, roam around the area looking for a better spot and spend long hours at camp bitching about the weather!!
Hunting with an outfitter or guide has only one guarantee....You get to do what you love to do in new territory, harvesting a deer is just a bonus!!!!