HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whats does a new deer Outfitter say?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Marlin 450

Default RE: Whats does a new deer Outfitter say?

If a new outfitter is looking to book solid, he will lie his a$$ off and it will work for a year or two, but if he want' s to grow at a steady pace and get repeat buisness, he will work hard, go the extra mile in all aspects and most importantly make the hunters comfortable while showing them a good time.
Believe it or not, the outfitter that is super honest and tells his potentials like it is, will have a hard time booking hunts. Most hunters want to hear how awesome the hunting is and the deer are abundant. They also want to be told they will see deer every day. Any outfitter in my area that can produce that either has a pile of land that is posted and has agricultural crops or has enclosures with tame deer.
So if you are looking for a sure thing, expect to pay $1500 to $4500 or more.
If you are looking for a real fair chase hunt, expect to pay $400 to $1000 and hope for the best but expect low success rates.
I guide around 12 deer hunters per year, most of them are repeat buisness.
I also usualy take 12 bear hunters per year and they are mostly repeat buisness.
I keep the groups small to ensure full attention on the hunters and rely mostly on showing them a good time. Hunters that have good success are the one' s that listen to what I tell them about what works in my neck of the woods, sit long hours on stand ( while staying awake and alert ) and practice good scent control.
The one' s that go home crying are the people that do not listen, roam around the area looking for a better spot and spend long hours at camp bitching about the weather!!
Hunting with an outfitter or guide has only one guarantee....You get to do what you love to do in new territory, harvesting a deer is just a bonus!!!!