Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ethics question

Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 AM
Spike

Default Ethics question

Here is the situation. This past weekend we were at our camp, my son hit a doe and there was significant bleeding. It ran onto our neighbor's posted property. I then called this neighbor, spoke to his wife and explained the situation, she indiciated her husband was hunting locally and he would get back to me - we are at 72 hours and waiting, still no response. My son was initially upset but I utilized this as an opportunity to speak to him about ethically challenged people.

A bit of history on our "freindly neighbor" - we are absoultely prohibited from hunting on his property (which has less acerage and much worse deer cover than ours), we have previously told them via certified letter, since we are not allowed to hunt on their proprerty they are prohibited from hunting on our property. This came to a head when on a Sunday afternoon (when we are usually gone) I caught his son and a pal about to climb into treestands on our property. Since then I have not caught them on our prperty, but the son has appeared on several of our trailcams (he is not particulary photogenic). In any event I know this is your standard case of the locals (them) wanting to set the rules and have the out-of-towners (us), who pay property and school taxes and do not avail themselves of the services, live by the rules. I guess they are sort of like politicians in that they feel no need to live by their own rules. By the way I do have mutual agrrements with all of my other neighbors regarding permission to retreive wounded animals.

Anyway, apologies on being a bit long-winded, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this issue.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 AM
Spike

well, you have certified mail, and pictres of them on your property and witnesses, personally i would prosecute, but you could also let them know that you dont want to do that and explain to hem that if the situation continues like it is currently you will have no choice but to prosecute
Old 12-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by thatmichhunter
well, you have certified mail, and pictres of them on your property and witnesses, personally i would prosecute, but you could also let them know that you dont want to do that and explain to them that if the situation continues like it is currently you will have no choice but to prosecute
I agree, let them know you have proof of their trespassing.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

I would of just went and got the deer, that is, if I had proof of them on my land.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have went to get it at night or midday so as not to f'up their hunt. Or call the CO, explain the situation, and go get the deer. Too bad you had to let it rot.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya can't do it. You have no permission to gain access to their property, no matter if they have trespassed on your property or not. IMHO, they are unrelated.
I certainly would show proof to the other land owner and try to have a future understanding of what might happen if they continue to trespass.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
Ya can't do it. You have no permission to gain access to their property, no matter if they have trespassed on your property or not. IMHO, they are unrelated.
I certainly would show proof to the other land owner and try to have a future understanding of what might happen if they continue to trespass.
Sure you can. You speed on the road don't ya? You don't have permission to do it. But you are willing to take the risk of the consequences. Same here. I have walked onto a ladies land before getting a deer. She has raised a fit. I tell her just call the law and I will pay the consequences. Pay the $75 dollar fine and move on. DNR shows up and hears the story. He rolls his eyes at the lady and said he has better things to do and walks off.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

After no reply after 24 hours, you should have called the CO, game warden or whatever they're called in your area. Explain and show him your blood proof and he may have let you on their property. Some states have laws where people ARE allowed to go onto private property to search for a wounded deer.

Have your son be proud. He got a deer. Congratulations! The only thing is that an idiotic land owner didn't let him access property to retrieve it. Your son should keep hunting and enjoy the rest of the season.

I WOULD press charges for the trespassing. It's obvious the neighbor kids have no respect for you... none at all. You will have to show them a valuable lesson in life, that there are consequences to our actions. It's your decision, but I feel responsibility to call the authorities and press charges.

If you don't press charges, then your post here is just an empty rant. Follow through on what's right. Kids that disrespect the laws here are often the ones who grow up doing more of the same. If they get a trespassing ticket by having to go to court, maybe they'll step back and consider their actions as being wrong... something they can learn by.

And further, the father is also exuding a big lack of respect for you because he hasn't even shown any consideration for you or your son to let you on his property.

Press charges.

iSnipe
Old 12-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Sure you can. You speed on the road don't ya? You don't have permission to do it. But you are willing to take the risk of the consequences. Same here. I have walked onto a ladies land before getting a deer. She has raised a fit. I tell her just call the law and I will pay the consequences. Pay the $75 dollar fine and move on. DNR shows up and hears the story. He rolls his eyes at the lady and said he has better things to do and walks off.
Well here in NH, if you trespass during hunting season with full knowledge that the owner has either posted his/her land or told you directly, then the NH Fish and Game can be involved with criminal trespassing. A hefty fine may be involved as well as loss of license and criminal tresspassing stays on your record.

Would you still take that chance?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
Well here in NH, if you trespass during hunting season with full knowledge that the owner has either posted his/her land or told you directly, then the NH Fish and Game can be involved with criminal trespassing. A hefty fine may be involved as well as loss of license and criminal tresspassing stays on your record.

Would you still take that chance?
Yep, instead of watching a deer go to waste. Its just a licences for one year. I would take those consequences. In most states, trespassing is usually only $75 to 200 dollars and is a mis One suggestion before you do it. Take your guns/bows back to the house before you do it. And is not a felony if its just your first time. Even in NH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.