HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ethics question
Thread: Ethics question
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 AM
Oldedawg
Spike

Default Ethics question

Here is the situation. This past weekend we were at our camp, my son hit a doe and there was significant bleeding. It ran onto our neighbor's posted property. I then called this neighbor, spoke to his wife and explained the situation, she indiciated her husband was hunting locally and he would get back to me - we are at 72 hours and waiting, still no response. My son was initially upset but I utilized this as an opportunity to speak to him about ethically challenged people.

A bit of history on our "freindly neighbor" - we are absoultely prohibited from hunting on his property (which has less acerage and much worse deer cover than ours), we have previously told them via certified letter, since we are not allowed to hunt on their proprerty they are prohibited from hunting on our property. This came to a head when on a Sunday afternoon (when we are usually gone) I caught his son and a pal about to climb into treestands on our property. Since then I have not caught them on our prperty, but the son has appeared on several of our trailcams (he is not particulary photogenic). In any event I know this is your standard case of the locals (them) wanting to set the rules and have the out-of-towners (us), who pay property and school taxes and do not avail themselves of the services, live by the rules. I guess they are sort of like politicians in that they feel no need to live by their own rules. By the way I do have mutual agrrements with all of my other neighbors regarding permission to retreive wounded animals.

Anyway, apologies on being a bit long-winded, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this issue.