Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ethics question

Old 12-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

definitely woulda just gone and got the deer...i mean you sent certified mail sayin he cant be on your property, was this after this incident? so you cant expect him to call you back now lol...wars between neighbors will never die...as for his son, well depends on how ya want to handle it, cause thats all that will be done about it.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

I know its after the fact, but as soon as it went on the property I would have contacted the ECO about the deer. They cannot give you permission to go after it by yourself, but they can, with you present (they sure as hell arent going to gut it and drag it). No room for anyone to get unduly riled or worry about consequences.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no way I would have left that deer to rot. If it was a good hit and I didn't think it went far, I would have went in right away, otherwise after not getting an answer I would have gone in after dark.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Daveboone
I know its after the fact, but as soon as it went on the property I would have contacted the ECO about the deer. They cannot give you permission to go after it by yourself, but they can, with you present (they sure as hell arent going to gut it and drag it). No room for anyone to get unduly riled or worry about consequences.
Not in NY - if the landowner says no, the ECO can do noting legally. I have a neighbor who under no conditions will be allowed access for any reason ever. We have recipical recovery (contact 1st if its not a simple recovery) with the other 5 bordering properties.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

they've been on yours to hunt deer, simply unethically and illegally. You shot one on your property and it went onto theirs. You have an ethical obligation to go and find that deer. If you didn't know the people, you did the right thing. But unfortunatly, you've had a rough time. Ethics first, bone collecting second.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really not an issue! Your son LOST his deer, simple as that. Private land is just that... PRIVATE.

You shouldn't EVER assume that anyone should allow you to tromp around their private property while you search for your deer.

Here in Illinois, no one can enter your property to pursue or search for wounded game, regardless of wether it's posted or not. I like it that way and for that reason our property is strictly PRIVATE! I'm not allowing anyone to cross my fence. My best advice to them is this.... you shouldn't have been hunting close enough to my property line for your deer to cross in the first place and if it did go a long ways... you're probably not going to recover it anyway.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:01 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
Really not an issue! Your son LOST his deer, simple as that. Private land is just that... PRIVATE.

You shouldn't EVER assume that anyone should allow you to tromp around their private property while you search for your deer.

Here in Illinois, no one can enter your property to pursue or search for wounded game, regardless of wether it's posted or not. I like it that way and for that reason our property is strictly PRIVATE! I'm not allowing anyone to cross my fence. My best advice to them is this.... you shouldn't have been hunting close enough to my property line for your deer to cross in the first place and if it did go a long ways... you're probably not going to recover it anyway.
Goodness, thats an aweful state of affairs there. Just aweful. For hunters and for yourself.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Spike

Bigcountry,

"Those that refuse to obey the laws of the land also refuse to obey God"
Romans 13:2
Old 12-07-2009, 03:09 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by spooker
Bigcountry,

"Those that refuse to obey the laws of the land also refuse to obey God"
Romans 13:2
I don't refuse too. Just accept I am willing to pay the consequences. A good Christian must be good stewards of the land and animals. This is clear.

Everythign has a price. For instance, I have hunted near Camp David. Would I dare retrieve a deer that was able to jump the fence (if even possible?) Heck no. I sure want to recover the deer. But not at those consequences. He's going to have to rot. I feel bad for him.

when it happens, I explain to everyone, that I understand they got to do what they got to do. And I will gladly give my name and address, send the authorities there.

I believe anytime you take up hunting, and let an arrow go, you have an obligation to that animal.

Have you read in Luke and others when the leaders of the law accused Jesus Christ of sin for decipsles getting heads of grain on the sabbath? He, our God and King, explained it is what is in your heart. If you want to live under the law, you got to live under the whole law.

Last edited by bigcountry; 12-07-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed

My best advice to them is this.... you shouldn't have been hunting close enough to my property line for your deer to cross in the first place...
That's just ridiculous.

iSnipe

Last edited by iSnipe; 12-07-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.