Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 PROBLEMS WITH BORDERING LAND OWNER >

PROBLEMS WITH BORDERING LAND OWNER

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PROBLEMS WITH BORDERING LAND OWNER

Old 11-02-2008, 08:58 PM

Default PROBLEMS WITH BORDERING LAND OWNER

The guy that is the land owner next to us is one of those classic (jackass) im sure some of you have run across. This dude is a pill. He lives on his property as well so he is there all the time,And to make matters worse he is in his 70's and will not talk to us at all. He is constantly riding the roads, if he sees one of our trucks he pulls over and starts shooting a shotgun or a 22 rifle, to try and mess us up. this guy hunts during the week when we arnt there. he has a food plot on the property line that he hunts alot and we have been thinking about doing something to get back at him but really dont want to escalate anything, or mess up our hunting along that property line. been thinking about spreading human hair troughout his plot,or something like that. We want the satisfaction of knowing we got the upper hand on him,but dont want him to know. personally would love to whoop that tail for him,but him being and old man and the fact of paying hospital bills and going to jail just dont make good sense. What would you do.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:11 PM

Default RE: PROBLEMS WITH BORDERING LAND OWNER

well he is probley thinkin the same thing about you....you come in now and then hunting and in his mind probley reaping some of his benifets and possibley killing some of his deer it would be very stupid to be a little sour puss like the old man but i would work my hardest to talk to him make your self out to be a nice guy small talk to start out ask him if hes seen anything ect. then kinda tell him that you just hunt on weekends and in most case if your nice people will lighten up an decied to think about you differntly then before and even offer to help him in some way....belive me it works...been though it many many times i call it my foreign policey
Old 11-02-2008, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the advise OZARK. Would love to talk with him Especially about shooting the gun that just aint very safe. Like i said we dont want problems we just wantto hunt.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're hunting your land and not trespassing, then the law should be on your side. I'd talk to him first, but if you're lawfully hunting your land, and he's taking actions with the intent to interfere with your hunting, then call the DNR and find out if there is a law in Alabama prohibiting the intentional interference with lawful hunting (there is one in Iowa). If so, the next time he does this, call the DNR or sheriffs office out. Not only could they possibly fine him for interfering with your hunting, but if he's shooting from the road right-of-way (again, illegal in most states), they probably can fine or arrest him for that. I'd find out what the laws are regarding this first, then I'd have a talk with him to try to bury the hatchet. If he's not receptive, then you warn him that you'll call the law the next time he does this, then follow through if he persists. Look at the bright side, if he's in his 70's, he could die soon anyway, so if all else fails, be patient. As far as trying to get back at him as you stated, remember that if you get caught, then the law will be on HIS side.

Mike

Old 11-02-2008, 09:56 PM

Get a video Camera...
Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Call and talk to a game warden. Don't do anything to interfere with the guy, as long as he is on his property. It is illegal to interfere with his hunting in Alabama as well as it is illegal for him to interfere with you.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Find out his name and send a letter telling him you want to be good neighbors. You realize that he has been there for a long time and you are new and don't have any intention of ruining his hunts. Stay away from his food plot and set a good example.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

If he is stopping and shooting around you everytime he thinks you are out hunting, then arguably that is harassment of a hunter and you might want to talk to the GW or county police about it. As for the food plot, its on his land.....
Old 11-03-2008, 09:57 AM

It sounds to me like the guy is pissed because you are hunting too close to his food plot. If that is the case I would stop by and either talk to the guy myself or get a go between and get an understanding of just what is wrong and how can we fix it. This guy may have a legitimate case against you and I would sure want to know where we all stood before I started any form of retaliation against the guy.

"been thinking about spreading human hair troughout his plot,or something like that. We want the satisfaction of knowing we got the upper hand on him,but dont want him to know." You might want to have a look at yourself here. You want to hurt the guy but you don't want him to know it is you? That is wrong on so many levels.

"personally would love to whoop that tail for him,but him being and old man and the fact of paying hospital bills and going to jail just dont make good sense." We have a place for guys that do these kind of acts and it is called prison. How about leaving the guys food plot alone and see if that clears up your problems with him? Also, talk. Don't use your magic bag of hair on his food plot until you talk to him.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

he has a food plot on the property line...
It sounds to me like the guy is pissed because you are hunting too close to his food plot.
If the old man put the food plot on the property line, and Bull Byler is hunting next to it ON HIS OWN LAND, then that's just too bad for the old man. Just because someone puts in a food plot close to another persons property line doesn't mean that that persons neighbor should be denied hunting access to his own land just because it's close to the plot and he may harvest deer on his side that happen to frequent said plot. If the old man is so worried and upset about others hunting what he considers "his" deer just because he planted some clover, then he should have put the plot in the middle of his property, not next to someone else's property line. I don't even think that this is a matter of courtesy, since the guy basically wants to effectively deny him use of his own property.

Mike

Quick Reply: PROBLEMS WITH BORDERING LAND OWNER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.