Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 PROBLEMS WITH BORDERING LAND OWNER >

PROBLEMS WITH BORDERING LAND OWNER

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PROBLEMS WITH BORDERING LAND OWNER

Old 11-03-2008, 12:34 PM

Default RE: PROBLEMS WITH BORDERING LAND OWNER

What a mess. Do the right thing though and try to make your relationship civil. If that doesn't work try legal action. An eye for an eye just gets out of control and you'll both lose in the end.

I think a real winner just moved in nextdoor to me too. She's younger than me though, so I can't just wait for her to die
Old 11-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

Your are going to have pain in the ass neighbors like that, but I think you are rightly concerned about things escalating. This guy obviously sounds like a miserable SOB and likely anything you did back to him would only "justify" his behavior (at least in his own mind). So try killing him with kindness, if nothing else it will irritate the living crap out of him haha.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

First of all I assume if he is in his 70's then he is your senior and would be due to be treated with respect which I see very little of in your post....its also unclear to me from your post weather this is land that you own or just hunt....if you own it then I can understand your frustration if notthen I would say you are just SOL althoughI understand why you are aggravated ... based on your post I have to think there is more to this story as I can't imagine why a grown man would go to the trouble thathe is just to keep you from hunting your own property .... if indeed that is the case then I think you should talk with him eye ball to eye ball respectfullyto find out what is motivating him to be such a pain ...maybe its just a mis-understanding that when discussed bewteen adultscan be taken care of... I'd be curious to knowhow it comes out...good luck

dd
Old 11-03-2008, 02:44 PM

firing a gun randomly into the area, there HAS to be a law against it or something. he could hit someone other than a deer. and there isn't any way to hide your truck?

Old 11-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

I'd try talking to him with third party, that maybe he knows and if that doesn't work pray for him and let God work on him.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 years ago we leased the land west of where we lease now, The owner would come out almost every weekend and ride his atv and target shoot while we where hunting. Well he still rides his atv along the 2 properties and is always shooting something off, At least we are a little farther away from him and hopefully the deer will spook from is side of the fence to our side...
Old 11-03-2008, 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

First of all I assume if he is in his 70's then he is your senior and would be due to be treated with respect which I see very little of in your post....its also unclear to me from your post weather this is land that you own or just hunt....if you own it then I can understand your frustration if notthen I would say you are just SOL althoughI understand why you are aggravated ... based on your post I have to think there is more to this story as I can't imagine why a grown man would go to the trouble thathe is just to keep you from hunting your own property ....
Could not disagree with anything Ihaveever read on this site than the excerpt above, but please read my post in its entirety

About respect? I have never owed anyone respect. To me this is something that is earned. Obviously, unless there IS more to this story, this gentleman that Bull is referencing has not earned it.

Does it matter whether he owns/leases/just has priveleges to hunt the property? As long as he has rights to legally hunt the land, the guy is guilty of harassment (at the very least) and more if he is shooting from a public road.

Could be more to the story, but could still see it happening if not. The land we currently lease (our 10th year) is surrounded by land leased by agroup of Dog hunters. They had previously held the lease for the land we hunt, and the owner nullified the contract based on the fact that they never paid her for the amount stated in the lease agreement. The first 5 years we were there, they:
[ul][*]Would pull up to the gates of our leased property (where foodplots were visible from the road) when they saw a vehicle parked nearby, and revv the engines of their K5 Blazer. One of the members of our club sat there one day with the cross-hairs of his 7mm Mag's scope on the bowtie...prayingfor God's help in not allowing him to send theround through the big block.[*]Have rippeddown our gates, bent them to hell and back, etc.[*]Have broke into our cabin and ransacked the place.[*]Hadbeen suspected of trespassing on our property, and were eventually caught and confronted when someone sent a round flyin over their heads. Funny thing, they were dumb enough to stand there and argue with the person that caught them, not knowing where he was. They gave their names, threatened to kill him, etc. They did call the Sheriff tp press charges. He and the game warden picked the guy up and went to talk with the trespassers. The sheriff asked if they were on our property without consent (since it was well posted). When they answered yes, he told them they had better been glad he hadn't actually shot them, which he would have right to do (implied).[*]Things are better now between us, other than having to deal with their dogs all over our place (another thread, another time).[/ul]
We did not know these guys from a hole in the wall.

if indeed that is the case then I think you should talk with him eye ball to eye ball respectfullyto find out what is motivating him to be such a pain ...maybe its just a mis-understanding that when discussed bewteen adultscan be taken care of... I'd be curious to knowhow it comes out...good luck

dd
I do agree with taking a civil approach to try to sort out the issue. If that doesn't work, then legal actions should strongly be considered.

I strongly agree with the statement that you should not do anything in retalliation. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Good luck from me as well.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mossy_71

First of all I assume if he is in his 70's then he is your senior and would be due to be treated with respect which I see very little of in your post....its also unclear to me from your post weather this is land that you own or just hunt....if you own it then I can understand your frustration if notthen I would say you are just SOL althoughI understand why you are aggravated ... based on your post I have to think there is more to this story as I can't imagine why a grown man would go to the trouble thathe is just to keep you from hunting your own property ....
Could not disagree with anything Ihaveever read on this site than the excerpt above, but please read my post in its entirety

About respect? I have never owed anyone respect. To me this is something that is earned. Obviously, unless there IS more to this story, this gentleman that Bull is referencing has not earned it.

Does it matter whether he owns/leases/just has priveleges to hunt the property? As long as he has rights to legally hunt the land, the guy is guilty of harassment (at the very least) and more if he is shooting from a public road.

Could be more to the story, but could still see it happening if not. The land we currently lease (our 10th year) is surrounded by land leased by agroup of Dog hunters. They had previously held the lease for the land we hunt, and the owner nullified the contract based on the fact that they never paid her for the amount stated in the lease agreement. The first 5 years we were there, they:
[ul][*]Would pull up to the gates of our leased property (where foodplots were visible from the road) when they saw a vehicle parked nearby, and revv the engines of their K5 Blazer. One of the members of our club sat there one day with the cross-hairs of his 7mm Mag's scope on the bowtie...prayingfor God's help in not allowing him to send theround through the big block.[*]Have rippeddown our gates, bent them to hell and back, etc.[*]Have broke into our cabin and ransacked the place.[*]Hadbeen suspected of trespassing on our property, and were eventually caught and confronted when someone sent a round flyin over their heads. Funny thing, they were dumb enough to stand there and argue with the person that caught them, not knowing where he was. They gave their names, threatened to kill him, etc. They did call the Sheriff tp press charges. He and the game warden picked the guy up and went to talk with the trespassers. The sheriff asked if they were on our property without consent (since it was well posted). When they answered yes, he told them they had better been glad he hadn't actually shot them, which he would have right to do (implied).[*]Things are better now between us, other than having to deal with their dogs all over our place (another thread, another time).[/ul]

We did not know these guys from a hole in the wall.

if indeed that is the case then I think you should talk with him eye ball to eye ball respectfullyto find out what is motivating him to be such a pain ...maybe its just a mis-understanding that when discussed bewteen adultscan be taken care of... I'd be curious to knowhow it comes out...good luck

dd
I do agree with taking a civil approach to try to sort out the issue. If that doesn't work, then legal actions should strongly be considered.

I strongly agree with the statement that you should not do anything in retalliation. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Good luck from me as well.
Mossy you are obviously entitled to your opinion but he does not have to "EARN" my respect if he is my elder ...I was raised when a person respected thier elders period ..does not mean they are always right but the areDUE respect out of pure courtesy (obviously something you were not taught)...and how can the land owner be guilty of harassment if he is on his OWN land PLEASE enlightn me ..he has the right to ride where he wants and to shoot when and where he wants (except hunting out of season)as long as he is outside the city limits and on his own property ....hell using YOUR anology every red neck in the south would be breaking the law when it seems just at the best hunting times they want to either break out their 22 rifles and start target shooting or cranking up their ole pick up truck that has no muffler and riding up and down the road ... like I said earlier go to this guy and try to talk with him ...if you do own the land you are talking about then appeal to him as a good neighbor ...if not you might try and explain the problem and come to acompromise ...either way I wish you good luck.

dd
Old 11-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

remember, if you do anything to his food plot, you will be having a direct negative effect on your hunting. i'm sure the same deer that eat out of his food plot walk on your land. i would not try to aggrevate the situation any further, due to his age and actions...he is probally "set" in his ways and will not come around. if you have already tried to speak with him to no avail, avoid him at all cost. if you have not tried to speak with him yet, attempt to BUT do not lecture him on hunting ethics or gun safety. he will likely take offense and your situation will become much worse.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:24 PM

DD,

Let me dissect a quote from theoriginal post by Bull Byder.

"He is constantly riding the roads, if he sees one of our trucks he pulls over and starts shooting a shotgun or a 22 rifle, to try to mess us up."

[ul][*]It appears that the elderly gentleman (how's that for respect) is driving a "PUBLIC" road or else Bull is at fault for riding and parking onthe internal road system on the elderly gentleman's property and obviously hunting the man's land. In the state I live, and I assure you most every state, it is illegal to discharge a firearm from a public road, regardless of where any city limits are posted. Case in point, here in Alabama you can be fined for hunting within so many yards (forgive the fact that I don't know the specifics) of a public road even if stand faces in the opposite direction. You can ask one of the guys I referenced in my original reply...they were fined.[/ul]

And now, in regards to your reply to me:

Respect?

[ul][*]Maybe I should have phrased my response a little differently. I give everyone, younger or older, that I meet respect.What you do with that respect is up to you and you have to earn the upkeep (for a lack of better terms). I'm a "fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me" king of person. People make mistakes, and I am a forgiving person to a degree. I have never allowed a person to walk all over me, and that does not make me a bad person.[/ul]

Upbringing?

[ul][*]I have had one of the best upbringings a person could have. My father is--and has been--an ordained Assembly of God (Pentecostal) minister since before I was born. I was raised in a very loving home, where I have been taught the best of morals and values. I have seen my dad turn the proverbial other cheek to the point that I could have done some bodily harm to the people that caused it. I have seen him give his shirt off of his back to help someone in need, even to the point that his own family has gone without. This is the man that I look up to and strive every second of my life to be like.[/ul]

"How can the land owner be guilty of harassment if he is on his OWN land? Please enlightn (sic) me.

[ul][*]Gladly! Hewas apparently on a public road when the "harassment" took place.You are making this rebuttal so easy. [/ul]

He has the right to ride where he wants and shoot when and where he wants (except hunting out of season) as long as he is outside the city limits and on his own property.

[ul][*]Agree, except as stated earlier... a public road does not constitute private property. It is owned by the state, county, city, etc. So, shooting from a public road--evenif that road divides your property--is illegal in most if not all states. Sorry, try again.[/ul]
Hell using YOUR anology (sic) every red neck (sic) in the south (sic) would be breaking the law...
[ul][*]Exactly, that is why the elderly gentleman is at fault given the circumstances provided by Bull.[/ul]
Anything else?

Quick Reply: PROBLEMS WITH BORDERING LAND OWNER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.